Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who does the maintenance or repairs on your bike?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
person
684 Posts
sonicsuby said:
I try to do most of the repairs on my bike.
Then my LBS repairs what I "repaired"

I'm learning :eek:
I was the same way, and I'm still like that on a couple things. A while back I laced up my wheel w/ a new hub and neglected to notice that there were two different spoke lengths...Doh! The guy at my LBS is cool though and fixed it for me no extra charge (have since learned from my mistake....it is the best way to learn isn't it?;) ). The only things I don't do are Truing wheels, bent Rear Der. hangers, and External BB's cause I don't have the tools for it.

I like my LBS but I wouldn't buy a bike from them, not because I think they've got shoddy workmanship, I think they do great work actually... but because I don't like the brands they sell all that much. (Fisher and Giant) Not that I think they're lousy brands, just not my cup a tea. Now if they became a transition dealer:thumbsup:

-Dave

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Last season, i did not pay an LBS to do any labor. Ok, there was once. I broke a spoke, and had the LBS fix it, since i did not have the tools i needed at the time. The next time it happened, i did it myself.

Things i did included: Hub overhaul, replace chainrings/cassette, replace spoke, install BB7s, adjust brakes/derailleurs, change cable housing, install grips (costs like $5 at some LBS!).

I voted a bit of both, since i do not do things such as bottom brackets and forks, or decent wheel truing.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I do what I am comfortable with at home (and having a couple good maintenance / reference manuals comes in handy), but for the big stuff, I let the LBS do it. They have the tools that I haven't bought yet and the experience to do it the first time (meaning the bike is back on the trails faster).

That being said, I continuously learn as much as I can...I'm a perfectionist and like having things as well tuned as possible so that the bike performs at its best all the time...The LBS won't always have time to do that; they may get it close in a short period of time, but unless they are really good, I prefer to fine tune.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
I do the vast majority of work on my bike myself. I let the LBS do things that I'm either too lazy to do, or would just frustrate the hell out of me (like change cables on X.0 shifters, for one).

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had my bike in the LBS last year and it took me about 2 months to undo all the harm, like over tightening the wheel bearings so the wheel wouldn't hardly coast. They did something to the back wheel so that it wouldn't fit in the drop outs and the axle finally broke, they put my headset in wrong and it was lucky there was no permanent damge. Never again.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I do all my own work although I haven't had any experience building my own wheels since I haven't had any need to do so until now.

I'll be starting with building a few SS specific flip flop rear hubs for a few of my bikes.

I've been assembling parts into bikes for a long time and am tooling up my shop to move into the realm of being a frame builder as well.

I pretty much want to be able to do it all and since I have access to a fully equipped machine shop I am also looking at fabricating other parts like headsets.

·
Student
820 Posts
Anything I'm comfortable with doing on my own I will attempt to do. But if I feel like I'm going to f_ck things up, the LBS gets the pleasure.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I fix everything myself. If I don't have a tool I take it to the LBS and use their tools. Its nice because I don't need to pay for it and if I can't figure it out he gives me pointers.

·
Registered
857 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I fix everything myself. If I don't have a tool I take it to the LBS and use their tools. Its nice because I don't need to pay for it and if I can't figure it out he gives me pointers.
Sounds like a great way to stay in business.

You don't kick him down ANYTHING?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I do all of my own "repairs". I think of it more as maintenance and general screwing around because I don't have the habit of breaking things in the first place. I build my own wheels, do my own suspension tuning and there isn't a shifting problem I haven't been able to cure yet.

Compared to my previous hobby with cars, bikes are a walk in the park - no wheel alignments that need lasers and a computer, no (rotor) lathes, no tire installer/remover or balancer ..... just some wrenches and a clue.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
MillerSHO said:
Sounds like a great way to stay in business.

You don't kick him down ANYTHING?
I've given the shop business on many occasions. I've helped the shop out a few times. not like it's totally one sided. I send people there too so it's a win win situation.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.