Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been lusting after a Jones space frame for 3 years now..I called Jeff about a year ago asking to be put on the waiting list. I was told that he was no longer taking names, my dream of owning a Jeff Jones Space Frame was just that, a dream..
I eventually dusted myself off, and fell in love with the Black sheep bike..They are dang sexy after all, and ride really nice...I ordered a ti highlight with truss fork, and all was well, for a while...About a month that is..Because a month into my build process Jeff announced that he had joined a partnership with merlin, allowing more people to share in the joy of owning, and riding a spaceframe...Well to little, to late for me I must say, I allready had my money into a blacksheep, and it was too late....
I sold my blacksheep a few months ago, amazingly not taking much of a hit on it..I got lucky...I loved the bike, it was the best riding ti bike I've owned thus far..I ran it ss/geared w/rohloff, and geared with 2X6 speed...Rigid front, and truss front...Great ride..
After a few months of saving, I finally contacted Jeff jones and ordered my space frame...I have got to say this about the man...He loves bikes!! Talking about them, riding them, talking about them, building them, and talking about them..My average conversation lasted at least 45 minutes with him, he is so enthusiastic...I met him at interbike, and got to ride his bike around..It was a treat...I do have to say, Working with him was pretty much the opposite of working with James...James is an artist, but not to good at communicato, which can be unerving when you have that kind of $ into a frame.He was nice, just really flakey.Jeff has sent me tons of emails,his dates and times have been solid and I got an email today I had to share...Ive seen similar emails from other Jones owners posted up, Always jealous and wishing it was me...An email that has my bung fizzing like mad!!! Pics of my frame all polished up and ready to go!!!
Build- JJ space frame 23"
Wheels- I9 black, laced to bonty dusters
tires - WTB weirwolfs
Bars- jones h bars
Drivetrain-Sram x-9
Cranks- xt 08
brakes- bb7's
Thompson stem x4/post

This is what I would consider a "budget" jones build..Everything bought is second hand, bought off of mtbr except the frameset....I should get it mid next week in the mail...I'll build it up and post pics, and ride impressions then...I recommend working with Jeff Jones to anyone...It really was an enjoyable/non nerve racking experience..Especially with the amt of $ shelled out for one of these things!!!!

Attachments

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Jones..

I can tell you, having personally held and felt and fondled one of these frames myself, that you won't be sorry.

Enjoy it... :thumbsup:

R.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This has to be my all time favorite bike. But I'm so confused about the fork! Is the fork built around the frame/headset? How does one remove the fork if you need a headset or different fork? I've always been curious about this:madman:

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
AFAIK, there is an alloy tube inside the headset tube, and you loosen the top and bottom clamps on the fork and slide the tube out of the inside of the head tube, thus releasing the front fork.

R.

·
oh crap...
551 Posts
Congrats! Jeff sent me similar photos on the day he shipped my spaceframe to me...I opened the email over my lunch hour and couldn't stop fidgeting for the rest of the day. And then it arrived and I drooled and tooled, and now I ride it every chance I get. It's awesome!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
like christmas eve as a kid

Yeah Im pretty excited, had trouble sleeping, so Im up at 11p looking at mtbr...I better get some rest, got a early group ride planned...
Jeff really is onto something here..Either you love or hate the look of these frames..Obviously im in the prior...Jeff was so excited for me to ride it after I told him the types of bikes ive been riding..Im looking forward to comparing the ride to my blacksheep highlight, orbea alma, titus motolite, dos niner, karate monkey, Intense spider, everti ti, raleigh 29er, fisher rig, cannondale prophet/jekyll, surly 1x1/pugsley, and other rides I cant think of that I've owned over the past 4 years I've been mt biking....I'll keep you posted with the build and ride reports over the next few weeks...
Utah really has a variety of terrain that im looking forward to hammering this bike through...HIgh elevation single track epics in park city, hand numbing rocky descents in moab and st george...My personal favorite gooseberry mesa in george, and my local stomping grounds of corner canyon in draper...It will be my only bike, I had to sell all of them to afford it, so its going to get a lot of use...Kind of hard selling all and going on a whim to purchase a bike without heavily testing it myself...Will I admit it if I hate it??? Hope fully I wont have to ;)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
dosboy - great to hear your dream of a Jones Space Frame is going to come to fruition... You will not have regrets, you have am sure read my miriad of posts re the journey etc to the Jones and ride pics and posts..... So know that feeling of awe inspiring anticipation.... it will be worth it...

Jeff is a great guy to work with, as you say his communication and timelyness is second to none... A joy to work with.... He puts the icing on the cake really of a frame purchase....

Being in Utah, this bike will blow your mind on tech type riding, and you will get stretch marks from grinning constantly......

Enjoy.... We kick your a s s if you dont get build pictures up soon......

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whafe said:
dosboy - great to hear your dream of a Jones Space Frame is going to come to fruition... You will not have regrets, you have am sure read my miriad of posts re the journey etc to the Jones and ride pics and posts..... So know that feeling of awe inspiring anticipation.... it will be worth it...

Did my fizzing at the bung comment give me away as a whafe post reader????:D

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
dosboy said:
Did my fizzing at the bung comment give me away as a whafe post reader????:D
Oh for sure, you will be "Fizzing at the Bung" for sure...............

Will you enjoy your Jones? "Does a ducks hard on drag weed" You will be speechless re the Jones, each ride will get better and better, will take some 5 to 6 months to totally feel at one, but the lust will last and last....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.