Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best lock for the money? Cable or U locks or both together? Which locks are better? I just bought a 06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disk and I want something thats going to keep it safe.

·
the wrench
469 Posts
u locks are best for securing the frame of the bike. then use the cable lock to secure youre wheels. all cable locks can be cut easially with a pair of side cutters. at the shop i work at u locks are the hardest to cut/ break open, allthough the lock barells can be drilled uot fairly fast with a sharp bit because they are usually made of brass. we had a shop competition one day to see how fast a 5/8" braided cable lock could be cut with a pair of pliers and the winning time was under 25 seconds.

next to u locks high grade boron chain and a good solid case hardened padlock are the next best thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info. Yeah I didnt spend almost $1000 to lose my bike in under 25 seconds. The only problem I see with a u-lock is they are so heavy and bulky. How does one ride with an extra 1or 2 lbs of steal? You want to have the lock with you when you park your bike after a ride.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Up to you.

If you are riding to and from a spot that you are locking up to all the time, (school, or work) leave the u-lock on the rack.

If you have to carry a u-lock, do it in a pack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Black Bart lock idea

Hey Black Bart.

That's another great idea. I can get a simple cable lock to secure the front tire if need be. I saw the picture of Sheldon Brown's bike. It makes good sense. Thanks for the info.

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
Locking up your bike

I use a cable and U-lock combo. U-lock through the rear triangle and rear wheel, cable run to the front wheel, saddle, and fron triangle. If I had to leave my bike out of view all day or in a high-theft area, I'd buy a beater and ride it.

Here's a helpful post from MB1 on the roadbikereview.com site that should show you the do's and don'ts for locking up your bike.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=31569

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Food for Thought

Thanks for the great information. I dont plan on leaving my bike unattended for long periods of time anyway. I think I'll more than likely use the U-lock like you guys said and then the cable to secure the front tire, etc. All of your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
I just bought an Onguard PitBull mini LS U-lock for my bike for the days when I feel like riding to work. I'd like to think I can trust no one is going touch my bike at work.. but you just never know.

The one thing I'm worried about is this.. anyone with a set of allen wrenches who knows what they are doing can easily remove components from your bike... =/ I myself could probably strip off everything attached to the stem including the stem... seat post with saddle... probably the brakes and rear deraillure on my bike with a set of allen wrenches and cable cutter(for brake/deraillure cables) in 5-10minutes! and that would be $400-600 worth of components!

The only peace of mind I have is... I think bikers don't steal parts from other bikers... If I see a "nice" bike, I'd appreciate the build/components and feel a sense of community that the owner also share the passion of mountain biking. The thought of ripping off a component to put on my bike or sell it for money would be the furthest from my mind. I think/hope most of us feel the same.

But I'm still fearful of the fact some lowlife with no morals can easily strip my bike faster then I can say "OMG! [email protected]#%*!"

So.. does anyone have other forms of insurance for their expensive dream bikes?

Phil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.