Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past w/e I decided to try something I haven't done before...lend a hand.

This was spring Cleanup. The trails got pretty hammered with a lot of run-off and the local association ( wmba.org ) was doing some maintenance. Even though I was dying for what would be my first snow-less ride, I remembered SSINGA's trail maintenance comments and some pix posted by someone, where a few well meaning chuckleheads practically paved a trail flat. So I decided it'd be easier to do my part than face my lack of fitness by riding.

We got smiles and thanks from riders passing by... but I really got a kick out of making a difference on the trail. Clearing blocked and flooded culverts, digging drainage trenches and building a rock bridge really got me stoked. I did ride later, and the shock to my body was sobering. A whole winters worth of spin fitness was wiped out with a sequential back injury and persistent cold. Guess I'll just have to ride more.

Building the rock bridge was the most fun. Finding and shot-putting rocks. Laying them out like paving stones. We had a pretty thorough discussion about using too many rocks. Some ppl didn't want it to be too easy. I'm usually down with that trend of thought, but this was near the trail head so I figured it shouldn't scare off the noobs so close to the lot. We left it just tricky enough to inspire a sense of accomplishment in a less aggro rider...and leave the harder stuff for deeper into the trail. The aggros can just launch over it.

Part of our motley crew...don't hate me cuz I'm tall.

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Very cool, and good on you BZ! :D I spent Saturday with the local trail guru (he was the first IMBA/Subaru traveling trail guy) getting certified to use a Ditch Witch SK500 to cut new trail corridors.

You should look into getting a copy of the Trail Solutions book put out by IMBA. It is some very good reading.

Attachments

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
HA ! I KNEW YOU WORE TIMBS! ! ! I KNEW IT! An east coast thing I really dig. :cool:

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Dude, everyone looks like kids standing next to you. Good stuff. Hopefully I can get the Spot down there this summer and check that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.