Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Salty Dog
Joined
·
366 Posts
Interesting article. From the way I read it I think the victim had just two choices: (1) throw the bike in the back of the truck, as ordered at gunpoint or (2) haul ass and hope the tweaker is loaded and can't shoot straight.

The is no law against carrying a seen weapon in public, unless you're restricted by parole or probation constraints, or a convicted felon, or under the age of 21 (pistol). However, if you carry any weapon concealed you will need a carry concealed permit of some kind. Personally, if you're carrying a concealed weapon and never need to use it and don't show it off, who will know? The folks I ride with don't commonly do anything, on road or trail, that will attract police attention and give officers reasonable suspicion or probable cause for a warrantless search.

I carry a concealed weapon in my car and don't worry about it. It's simply a defensive weapon and if I have to use it, aim straight, and kill the offender, only he and I will know it was concealed before I used it. Make sense?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Salty Dog said:
I carry a concealed weapon in my car and don't worry about it. It's simply a defensive weapon and if I have to use it, aim straight, and kill the offender, only he and I will know it was concealed before I used it. Make sense?
Makes total sense. How often have you had to use it?
 

·
Salty Dog
Joined
·
366 Posts
None - thanks!

skinny-tire said:
Makes total sense. How often have you had to use it?[/QUOTE

Thankfully, I've never needed it. I've had a few times when I've had my hands on it when things were dicey, but never needed to show or use it... "it's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Salty Dog said:
skinny-tire said:
Makes total sense. How often have you had to use it?[/QUOTE

Thankfully, I've never needed it. I've had a few times when I've had my hands on it when things were dicey, but never needed to show or use it... "it's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it".
Not to get into a whole big gun control debate, and this is a totally sincere question, but do you seriously think you could use it? In the situations above, did you feel there was a chance you might have to (I'd be interested in hearing the circumstances, if you're willing to share)?

From my tone, you can probably tell I'm on the other side of the fence on this. Even if, god forbid, I found myself in a situation where I 1) needed a gun to defend myself, and 2) even worse had access to a gun, I'm not sure I could use it (in fact, I'm about 99.9% positive I would not be able to use it). And I have no idea how I would feel if I did have to use it.

That said, I'm in no way suggesting that one does not have the right bear arms, but I just hope that those who do know how to use them, and take the proper precautions (and training).
 

·
Salty Dog
Joined
·
366 Posts
Great discussion

skinny-tire said:
Salty Dog said:
Not to get into a whole big gun control debate, and this is a totally sincere question, but do you seriously think you could use it? In the situations above, did you feel there was a chance you might have to (I'd be interested in hearing the circumstances, if you're willing to share)?

From my tone, you can probably tell I'm on the other side of the fence on this. Even if, god forbid, I found myself in a situation where I 1) needed a gun to defend myself, and 2) even worse had access to a gun, I'm not sure I could use it (in fact, I'm about 99.9% positive I would not be able to use it). And I have no idea how I would feel if I did have to use it.

That said, I'm in no way suggesting that one does not have the right bear arms, but I just hope that those who do know how to use them, and take the proper precautions (and training).
Yep, I could use it. But please don't think I am advocating anyone carrying a weapon on a bike, just stating my knowledge of existing law and my opinion. The gun rights issue can be very individual and I have no need to push my opinions on anyone else, and I very much respect your perspective, as well.

Look for a PM..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Actually just took the CCW course last weekend. The instructor pretty much concurs that it's not gonna help you unless you are vigilant enough to see a "jacking" coming. Unfortunately, you are not justified to shoot them after the fact as you aren't in a life threatening situation; not even to retrieve your bike. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also, if you were carrying and they had a weapon already drawn on you, well, it would take a large brass pair to pull yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
This could be a good debate and of course could rage on for pages. Talk to someone who is alive today because of ther choice to use a weapon either in war or self defense, its a different conversation than the for or against debate. I'm also sure you'd get an overwhelmingly 100% response of yes I'd do it again!
Now carrying while riding.. thats another story and if you constantly live in a state of yellow or red awareness and operate in those types of situations then I suppose you'd carry. But riding on trails for fun and enjoyment, my choice is to leave the Glock at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,440 Posts
GodMadeDirt said:
Actually just took the CCW course last weekend. The instructor pretty much concurs that it's not gonna help you unless you are vigilant enough to see a "jacking" coming. Unfortunately, you are not justified to shoot them after the fact as you aren't in a life threatening situation; not even to retrieve your bike. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also, if you were carrying and they had a weapon already drawn on you, well, it would take a large brass pair to pull yours.
exactly. i have my ccw but if a truck came pulling up and a wigged out hom o bro' came jumping out with a gun already pointed on me...it's not like i will be able to access mine fast enough...

unless i was like tom cruise in that movie where he was a hit man. remember scene in the alley?

mx
 

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
Joined
·
221 Posts
Salty Dog said:
Interesting article. From the way I read it I think the victim had just two choices: (1) throw the bike in the back of the truck, as ordered at gunpoint or (2) haul ass and hope the tweaker is loaded and can't shoot straight.
I wouldve done the second option, from my expeience its pretty hard to hit a target from a moving vehicle. Especially with a handgun
 

·
pedaller
Joined
·
2,400 Posts
Also, if you were carrying and they had a weapon already drawn on you, well, it would take a large brass pair to pull yours.
:yikes:

Salty Dog - the way I read it the victim had 1 choice - hand over the bike. The tweeker has a gun and it's a Diamondback - no brainer.

Seriously I'd hand over any THING at that point and hope I could make out the plate as they bolted while I was dialing 911.
 

·
Salty Dog
Joined
·
366 Posts
Agreed....

Noelg said:
:yikes:

Salty Dog - the way I read it the victim had 1 choice - hand over the bike. The tweeker has a gun and it's a Diamondback - no brainer.

Seriously I'd hand over any THING at that point and hope I could make out the plate as they bolted while I was dialing 911.
:D I agree completely. The bike, regardless of it's value, can be replaced. A heart with a severed aorta.... yikes.

Noel, I agree it appeared the victim had no choice. Even if he had a gun it likely would have been hard to get to and then the bad guy would have had the chance for the first shot. It's never good to be the second one to shoot...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top