Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a specialized hardrock sport disc, and i want to make it SS but i am going to hit up some trails over the summer so i dont know what to do. the trails are, you get yourself up......in otherwords, i have to PEDAL up the hill. now i dont know if a urban/DJ SS kit will do me very good if im trying to pedal my way up a HUGE hill. but im in seirous consideration of going SS so i dont have to worry about breaking the deraluers, but i either have to put them back on when i hit the trails OR i would have to work my ass off to make it up the hill, what should i do?

i am also thinking of taking the front brake off since i hardly eer use it and that would be one less cable to deal with. is this a good idea?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
79 Posts
Heres mine, geared 32:16 which isnt bad for cross country as long as you have fast rolling tires. Keep in mind you will probably need new cranks and bottom bracket since the ones that come on the sport are cheap so the rings are riveted together.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks, i guess i will try it and see how i like it. i have a couple more questions tho.....

1) do i need the thing circled in the pic. below (i dont know what its called)?

2) got any ideas on good cranks/BB for cheap?

3) what do you mean by "fast rolling" tires?

my bike is the one in the second pic........ if the picture works:confused:

i got the smaller frame for the DJing/urban

sorrry for the second picture being so small

Attachments

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
derfernerf said:
ok thanks, i guess i will try it and see how i like it. i have a couple more questions tho.....

1) do i need the thing circled in the pic. below (i dont know what its called)?

2) got any ideas on good cranks/BB for cheap?

3) what do you mean by "fast rolling" tires?

my bike is the one in the second pic........ if the picture works:confused:

i got the smaller frame for the DJing/urban

sorrry for the second picture being so small
1)You most likely will on your bike. It's called a tensioner.
2) How cheap?
3) Tires with low profile knobs, light tires, that offer less rolling resistance than most.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
I'm in no way a crankset guru so I won't try to help so as to not give bad advice.

There are many tires that do well on both trails and urban/dj. My maxxis holy rollers do well on pavement, jumps and such, but they hold their own on most hardpack or loose over hardpack surfaces. If it's muddy, rocky, or rooty though, I'd look elsewhere.

The Kenda Small Block 8 could be the ticket for you, light, fast rolling. It depends if you want to switch out your tires depending on today's ride or not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Holly Rollers would work great and can be used for cross coutry, that lower resistence makes it easier offroad with a higher gear ratio.

The thing circled is the tensioner I used a Rennen since I bought it locally but you can get a similar one called the DMR sts tensioner for around $20 online.

For cranks and bottom bracket i just used a spare set off another bike, just try to find a cheap set of truvativ husselfelts or something similar then get a single speed chainring thats not ramped or pinned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts