Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new fork for my mtb hardtail, and noticed the head tube was too long, more precisely, the lower bearing doesent stand out far enough. so when i tighten the headset cap, the frame touches the frame and it stiffens up and cant be moved.

It is a IS 52/40 45° 45° lower bearing in 8mm height. This is pretty standard, and i havent seen any bearings taller than 8mm.

I cant find a taller bearing, or a spacer. If anyone knows of such a thing i would appreciate a hint.
I thought i could try to put in sugru (self hardening, rubbery plasticine) in the frame and push in the lower headset bearing. I would expect it to create a gap of a few mm. Once it hardened, i can tighten it up to spec. The plastic will compress but im hoping the gap would be big enough.

Is it a stupid idea or is it a stupid idea? Feel like its a huge bodge and it won't hold up long.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
I bought a new fork for my mtb hardtail, and noticed the head tube was too long, more precisely, the lower bearing doesent stand out far enough. so when i tighten the headset cap, the frame touches the frame and it stiffens up and cant be moved.

It is a IS 52/40 45° 45° lower bearing in 8mm height. This is pretty standard, and i havent seen any bearings taller than 8mm.

I cant find a taller bearing, or a spacer. If anyone knows of such a thing i would appreciate a hint.
I thought i could try to put in sugru (self hardening, rubbery plasticine) in the frame and push in the lower headset bearing. I would expect it to create a gap of a few mm. Once it hardened, i can tighten it up to spec. The plastic will compress but im hoping the gap would be big enough.

Is it a stupid idea or is it a stupid idea? Feel like its a huge bodge and it won't hold up long.
So you purchased a new fork for your hardtail (replacing the existing fork?)

What are the two forks? Did you move the headset race from the old fork onto the new fork?

What frame is it? If it has never had a fork mounted on it can you contact the manufacturer to confirm it is within specs?

Perhaps a few pictures of the top of the old fork (unmounted) and the top of the new fork?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you purchased a new fork for your hardtail (replacing the existing fork?)

What are the two forks? Did you move the headset race from the old fork onto the new fork?

What frame is it? If it has never had a fork mounted on it can you contact the manufacturer to confirm it is within specs?

Perhaps a few pictures of the top of the old fork (unmounted) and the top of the new fork?
one fork is the rockshox sid sl 100mm, the new one is the orbea spirit rigid fork. frame is the mondraker podium carbon rr sl. i used the headset that came with the frame and the crown race that came with the fork. maybe the crown race was not made for that type of bearing but i can't imagine. orbea uses is52 as well. it just goes into tge frame to far, or the forks crown race doesen't stick up enough

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think the crown race that came with the fork is not compatible with the bearing. i took both crown races of new and old fork off with a screwdriver and gonna pop it in the oven to slide it on the new fork. hoping that solves it. guys on this forum are full of wisdom.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,399 Posts
i used the headset that came with the frame and the crown race that came with the fork.
There's your issue--you are using a non-compatible crown race. Use the crown race from the old fork.

I believe the headset assembly is not universal and cannot be mixed-and-matched with other headset brands/models.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,399 Posts
That looks super sleek, fast and fun! Whoa!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.