Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which would you choose: 1988 Jeep Comanche (pickup with shell) 4.0L I6 4x4 manual :thumbsup: or 2010 Toyota Rav4 3.5L V6 4wd automatic :nono:? And why?

Already have both; maintenance cost is not an issue. Trying to decide which to keep. Thanks for opinions :)

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I don't know anything about the Toyota other than Toyota's reputation for decent vehicles...but the Jeep is a Jeep...that I6 will run forever and when it does die, replacements are plentiful and cheap. The transmission and transfer case are bulletproof and again, cheap and easy to replace if needed. I'm watching for an old Cherokee myself, just because they are tanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Comanche, if you are going to do any kind of off road. It has solid axles, not IFS, it has the tried and true 4.0, it has low range. It's liftable.
If you are doing long trips w/o off-road, the RAV probably gets. much better mileage, but once you weigh it down with all your gear, you will have no power and the mileage will suck anyway. So it depends on your usage.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
How much time do you want to spend with your mechanic? But the Jeep is way cooler and does have manual - which is always better.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you have a family and kids get the Rav 4. You're already a pale shadow of your former self and the soul sucking soulless Rav 4 can just add to your misery. If on the other hand you are single, free and still have some passion in your life, get the Jeep.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Please. The I6 is one of the best motors ever made. That's why they stopped making them...too good. I've owned 6 Jeeps with the I6 and all where nothing but dependable. Only once did one of my Jeeps leave me stranded and all it ended up being was a wire can unconnected in the engine bay. Plugged it back in, fired right up and never had another problem till the day I sold it.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
That old AMC Rambler engine was great - but all the other parts bring it down and the fact that it is 12 years older than the Toyota will make a big difference in reliability.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Toyota offers the distinct advantage of starting when you turn the key :p
Mine has the push button starter ;) (which was probably a waste of $4k, including the useless moonroof, leather, "climate control" and "premium" sound). But hopefully I get something back in resale, if I go that route...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Please. The I6 is one of the best motors ever made. That's why they stopped making them...too good. I've owned 6 Jeeps with the I6 and all where nothing but dependable. Only once did one of my Jeeps leave me stranded and all it ended up being was a wire can unconnected in the engine bay. Plugged it back in, fired right up and never had another problem till the day I sold it.
It sound like you had "Jeeps", not Cherokees with a crank angle sensor made in France.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you have a family and kids get the Rav 4. You're already a pale shadow of your former self and the soul sucking soulless Rav 4 can just add to your misery.
RAV4? I've aimed way lower with my plans to buy a Sienna. Hey man, it'll have a roof rack and everything! I'll strap my soul to it.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
3,143 Posts
I own an 88 jeep. Being a bit of a perfectionist about stuff I own, the biggest disappointment is lack of parts. Clutch slaves, steering boxes, brake master cylinders, etc are only overseas garbage, or re manufactured parts with a 90 day or 1 year warranty. You will not get new AMC (or GM) parts, from that era. Period. I do most repairs, but at $125-$150 an hour, shop rates, anything over my head is too expensive, compared to 15 years ago. I had planned to keep this forever, but I will sell it, after realizing the reality of no NEW parts. Additionally, if you live in CA, SMOG tests are tricky. Plan on new OBD II catalytic converter every few years. 13 MPG is the death blow.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If you have a family and kids get the Rav 4. You're already a pale shadow of your former self and the soul sucking soulless Rav 4 can just add to your misery. If on the other hand you are single, free and still have some passion in your life, get the Jeep.
Nothing wrong with a Sienna, I had an 01 and it was rock solid.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
While the Jeep I6 may be a strong engine, the fuel and inglorious systems on an 88 suck out loud. That engine will have the Renix (Renault-Bendix) designed and built fuel system. It uses a computer controlled carburetor, the worst thing ever put on an engine. I owned one for too many years.

And the manual transmission will be a Peugeot BA-10, notorious for being the crappiest trans ever bolted to an engine. Pile of junk!!

My vote is to sell off both vehicles and buy something else.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
When Chrysler goes bankrupt next time (you know it will happen), I hope they sell Jeep to Toyota or at least Ford. Jeep's deserve better.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had the Comanche since '96 and I get ~19mpg. The 2nd gear syncro is worn since '98 so I skip it usually but I can get into 2nd if I double clutch. Only real issue I had was cooling system problem. Spent $2k over multiple tries to fix it. Seems solid for the past 2 years. I also had to have the fuse box redone since brake fluid from the clutch master leaked onto it, but no issues since fixing that 8 years ago. The rav4 gets 19.5mpg. No issues with it (yet!).

I like the comanche since it's low profile and junky looking and I can hide my bike in the bed. Plus I can get a lot more for the rav4 and apply that money to comanche upkeep (hopefully not too much money). The rav4 will depreciate more; the comanche won't.

Benefit to rav4 is A/C which my comanche doesn't have (which doesn't matter too much since I ride a mtb and so used to adverse conditions ;) ) and I can carry people in it. Comanche is mainly just for me and I can't really offer to carry anyone in carpool situations.

My vote is to sell off both vehicles and buy something else.
And yes I did buy something else, but it's not really a bike hauler :) so want to get rid of one of these.

·
fRIDEday makes me happy!
902 Posts
I have a rav and really like it. They no longer make the v6 so you have something nice with that. Lots of room for what appears as a small suv. Recently had two bikes, a kayak and the back with seats down completely full of moving boxes and gear and my little 4 cylinder did just fine. Point a to b and it will run forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts