Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I want to buy my wife a better bike than what you can get at walmart.
Her only request was in color it have to be black.
She 5'4'', 27'' inseam no shoes on.

As right now im set on the trek skye s
Trek Bicycle
But just today I saw the specialized myka line
Specialized Bicycle Components

I say around $550 be my max to spend on the bike
the trek seem to be a more upright riding position, so I guess the question would be are those myka better value or the trek is a better one. it would be used to attach the baby trailer InSTEP Sync Bicycle Trailer - Green/ Gray (Single) : Target

any opinion welcome thanks!

·
turtles make me hot
11,519 Posts
This doesn't really help you with your wife's sizing, but I'm saying this to show how to take a different approach to different requirements...
My buddy's wife is 4'11" and he got her a TINY FS Specialized FS 26er. Bike even has 140mm rear brake. It's cute. I don't know which model it is, but it's female specific... Black with pink flowers and whatnot.
My wife, on the other hand, is 5'7" and I'm currently building her a medium Salsa Spearfish. I built her sister a 15" hardtail 29er and when my wife rode it, she definitely looked big on it, so I went for the 18.
My daughter is 5'4" and I built her a 15" GF Cobia. Frame is probably 1" too big for her but she likes it and has no trouble once she gets going.
Have your wife ride a few bikes for sure and don't forget that you can swap stems, handlebars and certainly don't forget a woman's specific seat.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
What kind and size of bike do you ride. It's counter intuitive, better bike like full suspension, is easier to control than HT. if you are riding a full suspension then let her ride that. Trail riding is can be intimidating to new riders, and they need all the help they can get.

If you are comfortable to pick a good used bike then check out your local Craigslist, look for some Cannondale rush, giant trance both will pop up from time to time in your price range, the avg price about 700. Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now she went to visit her family i told her before she come back i would have her a bike.
the only time we visited the lbs they dint have any small female bike only a 29 but she say it was to big so the lbs show us the skye on the web and she like it but no way to test ride it.
I was going to call the lbs to order the bike when i saw the specialize one then decided to come here and ask.
I say it would be 100% road sidewalk riding like i said pulling the kid trailer.
I just wanted to get her something nicer than the option on walmart.

Right now we dont have a bike in the house.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say for just paved options the trek is a good match but wouldn't last on trails long in my opinion. Personally I'd go with specialized for the versatility over the trek but I'm biased because I love going off road. Another factor may be to check the warranty. My local trek dealer only offers services on treks for a yea while pretty much every other shop offers lifetime services. Let us know what you get and what your wife thinks of it. I am in the same boat trying to get my gf a new bike.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
29er for a 5'4" , don't do it.

my 5'0" wife rides 24" mtn bike on trails and hybrid for streets. It really depends on what type of riding she'll be doing. A $10k mountain bike won't ride as fast as a $400 hybrid on paved roads. A more upright bike is nice for cruising, but sucks at any decent speed. wind resistance kills.

if you're serious about trail riding, to throw a horse in. used will alwys get you better value though with some research.
Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500

·
Registered
187 Posts
Get her a myka26 and call it a day..... My girl has been riding hers for 2seasons no complaints......she's 5'2 and all the lbs here wanted her to ride a 29..... She could barely get on and off the bike......I've learn the lbs just wants to sell the latest fad regardless if it works for. Body size

·
EDR
10,147 Posts
This is a mountain bike forum. All the advice you are getting is regarding off road riding. For pulling the kids around neighborhood any bike will do, even a Walmart bike. If you have several hundred dollars tho spend at a bike shop i would still recommend that option. She really needs to try a few bikes or you could easily waste your money.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Phone some other bike shops. They vary a lot in who they see as their core customers and their attitudes about serving anyone else. You may have a shop near you that's more interested in serving women well. That shop deserves your wife's support and will probably also get her on a bike she likes better than one found via "guess and hope."

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Would you ask your wife to buy you a bike sight unseen? I'm guessing no would be the answer. She should go test ride some bikes and choose a bike on what she likes. For pulling a trailer around the neighborhood about any bike would do. That said the department store bikes mostly come in one size and fitting a bikes is one of the most important thing in getting abike.Read the intro at the top of the page.At a given price bikes are about the same ,but she will like one more than the others.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
This is a mountain bike forum. All the advice you are getting is regarding off road riding. For pulling the kids around neighborhood any bike will do, even a Walmart bike. If you have several hundred dollars tho spend at a bike shop i would still recommend that option. She really needs to try a few bikes or you could easily waste your money.
^^^this. Whatever wheel size is fine as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
I truly think before we can recommend a bike at all, we need more information. Please post pics of your wife. :D:D:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It hard to reply from my phone.
Well it was like this she was set to get a bike from walmart but then i told her to go to a dedicated bike shop. The only female hartail they have was a 29 dont remember the frame size but she say the bike was to big i figure the tires. They show her the trek skye on the web she liked the way it look geometry. So i was about to order it but then saw the specualized mykas i sended the link so she can see that one waiting on reply from her.
it be mostly road. We do have unpaved road also that why she like that type of bike.
so if she dont like the look of the mykas it would be the trek skye, so is that a good value compared to the mongoose swchin at walmart?

·
EDR
10,147 Posts
. We do have unpaved road also that why she like that type of bike.
so if she dont like the look of the mykas it would be the trek skye, so is that a good value compared to the mongoose swchin at walmart?
Even the entry level bikes at the bike shop in the 250 to 500 dollar range are far far better bikes then most of what you'll see at Walmart. Of course value is relative, the Walmart bike may only be 100 dollars, the local bike shop bikes will be much more. Far better bikes for sure, but for the intended use only you guys can measure its value. Still if you got the money just go get a bike from the bike shop, she'll love it.

The local bike shop bike with a little tender loving care will easily last you 10 years of moderate use. I still have my trek 820 I bought my wife for just over 200 dollars at the bike shop 7 years ago and it still is in really good working order. At least you can replace parts as needed. I can promise you 1 thing, a 100 dollar Walmart bike won't last 10 years of any kind of use.

Forget the 29er. It's a tough fit for someone as short as your wife and totally unnecessary for the type of riding you're talking about.
Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
she just reply to my last email with buy the one I think is best.
so is the myka disc brake much better do they need constant inspection?
I guess it have to be the one with less maintenance.
trek skye s or myka disc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts