Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a bike for myself at the moment but I want to buy a bike for my wife too, so once in a while she can go to a park with me or drive around on a nice day.
She is very petit and also acts that way, I know she won't be riding hard, just driving on a bike path enjoying the view.
I thought the most I can spend on a bike for her is $400, don't want to spend more, and the used market bike for women is pretty much non existent in here.

I was looking at this bike and the price was pretty good, but I see no brake disk, not sure if it means the bike is crap or not :)
She's 5'2 at 102lbs so I was thinking 13'' bike for her looking at Marin sizing chart.
She does not want to go shopping for a bike, doesn't want to try any on, just not that interested.
I took her to one store, she sat on Giant Talon, I asked her if she liked it, she said she likes the color :)

Amazon.com: 2013 Marin COAST TRAIL WFG Women's Hardtail MTB Bike Shimano 8s Suntour NEW: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I would buy her a Pivot 5.7 carbon XX1...in your size. Sadly, I can't advise one way or another on that bike, though.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
Once in a long while it is the right choice to go with a Walmart bike. For $80 + $8 for the one year return guarantee. Let her ride a few times and maybe she will want to look for something better. Either way return the bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We actually just bought $80 walmart bike for her little sister that will visit us this summer.
It's sitting in garage, waiting for her, thought I would buy wife a little better bike and all 3 of us can ride a bit in summer.
This is the one I got for her 17yr old sister for 2 months of summer.
26" High Peak Womens | Walmart.ca

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once in a long while it is the right choice to go with a Walmart bike. For $80 + $8 for the one year return guarantee. Let her ride a few times and maybe she will want to look for something better. Either way return the bike.
The only problem with this plan is the frame size available at the BBS. I started my process at WM, planning to just spend $80 for a bike path bike. When I tried to sit on one, I could hardly touch the ground with my tiptoes. Like the OP's wife, I am only 5'2" with a 27" inseam. I don't recommend a $400 bike for someone who doesn't seem interested at all. I love my Specialized Myka, but for someone who is MAYBE going to ride on a bike path, maybe consider a DBX for about $150 from [email protected]%'s. It is sufficient for a path, but not much more and you won't be watching a $400 bike rot in the garage.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My friend got his gf a bikes direct bike for under 300, and besides the cheap front derailleur being a pain to setup, it's been great. I work on his and her bike usually and they both are holding up well. The fork, that's another story, but that's gonna be any sub 800 dollar bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
She does not want to go shopping for a bike, doesn't want to try any on, just not that interested.
I took her to one store, she sat on Giant Talon, I asked her if she liked it, she said she likes the color :)

Amazon.com: 2013 Marin COAST TRAIL WFG Women's Hardtail MTB Bike Shimano 8s Suntour NEW: Sports & Outdoors
Don't force it. If she isn't interested, than let it be. The worst thing you can do is try to force something on her. If she wants a bike, she will get one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts