Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got her away from the "fishing-lure" of Granny-Smith-Apple-Green that the Cannondale people offer. We have moved on, and like the Specialized Myka.

I live in Pittsburgh and most of the Specialized dealers are Pro-Bikes. If anyone from Pittsburgh is out there and wants to tell me why I should go to one Pro-Bike store over another...I'm all ears:)

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
I bought a Myka for my wife and it's been a great bike. She also does very light trail rides but her time is mostly spend on pavement.

If she is serious about riding then my suggestion is to buy here the cheapest Myka you can. The reason is that upgrades will be inevitable.

I bought my wife the Myka Sport Disc which means that it came with disc brakes instead of v-brakes and a lockout Suntour shock. She is very petite and was fitted to an XS. The bike weighed 31lbs off the rack and costs $700 w/tax out the door.

I've since upgraded the seatpost, stem, handlebars, wheels, tires and forks. Here's the breakdown...

2011 Myka Sport Disc
Thomson seat post & stem
FSA carbon flat bar
Fox RL F-Series 90mm fork
Roval Controle E5 wheels
Kenda Kosmik Lite II tires

This little beauty weighs in at 25lbs. I'm in the process of changing her drive train over to 9speed and will post pics when I get the conversion done.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,260 Posts
I once went to the Pro Bikes in Squirrel Hill, but it's the only one I ever visited so I can't speak to comparing the service there to another one of their locations. With that said, I was treated well there. All I needed was a bolt for my FSR. I was far enough away to make it not really worth my time to drive out to order the bolt, so they took my info over the phone and placed the order (I've been to some shops that have absolutely refused to do that), calling me when it was in so I could make the trip to pick it up (I wasn't quite far enough away for shipping the bolt to be cheaper than just going to pick it up).

I was treated a lot better there than I was at Gatto in the North Hills the time I went there looking for tires and intel on the trails at North Park. I hope that place has changed over the years because they flat out blew me off.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. A Myka from Squirrel Hill it is!

In-Yo - Bike looks great. The wife loves it. We're going to get the same one.
Is that a giant Smoker in the background. Haha, pretty rock'n for a bbq!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my wife a 2012 Myka sport disc also. She loves it. We ride almost every weekend. Its been a great bike so far. My wife rode for years before we got married and we are getting back into it. She is pretty heart set on Specialized bikes, and knew exactly what she wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting the pics. Maybe I should save up for a real camera next!
We picked up her new Myka this afternoon. It was a holdover from last year and she got it for $500 out the door, yes she insisted on buying her own rig!:thumbsup:. Comparatively speaking, it's a hell of a bike for $500. Even if she gets bit by the upgrade bug she may only do the basics: seat-tube, handlebars, and stem...but who knows, I may have created a monster?!?

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Arctic98Z, Yours was the one I had picked out for her but she'de probably never use the lockout and it was tough to pass up a deal so I hesitated to tell her that in a couple years her "look" will be dated. Haha...women?

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Badassbassangler, lol my wife didn't know she had a lock out until she saw me playing with mine the other day and asked what I was doing. She's a hard core Specialized fan though. So long as shes happy, I can ride on... ;)

·
GONE
27,387 Posts
My wife also has a 2011 Myka HT, a 17" red & white one. She loves it! I have upgraded the cranks to Shimano LX with and an outboard BB, and I have upgraded the brakes to Shimano BR-486 (I think) hydraulics, and red ESI foam grips. All three upgrades have been huge improvements and have shaved a total of about 1.5 pounds in weight of the bike. I've got a 2009 Fox F100 RL laying around that I am gonna mount on there pretty soon, too. That should shave at least another pound off the bike and be another huge inprovement...The pic does not show all improvements...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ Artic98Z...I don't have a lockout on mine so I'm safe! lol
@ Ambassadorhawg...I haven't fished steady since I went back to school. CAN'T WAIT TO GRADUATE this spring! Nice bass, but putting your wife's pinky ring on your kid's finger to make your bass look bigger??? haha, ;-) Maybe this spring, but probably PA smallmouth or River Monster cats.
Happy fishing/riding!

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Thanks guys. A Myka from Squirrel Hill it is!

In-Yo - Bike looks great. The wife loves it. We're going to get the same one.
Is that a giant Smoker in the background. Haha, pretty rock'n for a bbq!
You know it brotha...I've done four briskets at one time on that bad boy. It's a grillin', smokin' party loving machine.

Glad to hear you wife liked the Myka. After she has some time to ride it. Get on the classifieds here and change out her handle bars, stem and seatpost. You'll drop some cheap easy weight that she can appreciate right away.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ IN-YO...Brisket is just fine, but slow-cooked pork is my fave! Either way...Smoke'em if you gott'em!!
The seatpost is the first to go, I'm sure she'll like the carbon "look", with a little setback to position her knees over the BB. Stem and H-Bars will deff be next!
One of the things I like about this bike is that it has a 1 1/8" headset...interchangeable with my "vintage" bikes that may need a beater fork.
Can't wait to get out of townhouse living and build a Smoke-Hauss of my own!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Finch Platte,,,You might think so at first...I did, and I was WRONG! I'de donate all my many years' worth of bike-related swag to know that I could have another day of casual conversation while either walking or riding a trail with my wife. I'll take the wife over the bike anyday!

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
I took my wife out for a 10mile trail ride yesterday and she really liked it. I took it easy on her and didn't push her hard at all. That combined with a nice dinner after made for some good brownie points.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You're a good man, In-Yo. Gotta pay attention to the women-folk!:thumbsup:
I've been cardio training so when my wife, (with a desk job), comes out on a weekend with me, I pedal a "hard" gear and comfortably talk to her while she struggles. haha!
At least I finally got her into buying bike swag! Far more productive than skin-care-products from QVC!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.