Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay Iam currently shopping for a Mountain bike for the girlfriend as an Xmas/Graduation present. Visited a few shops here in town. Ended up at Cycle Spectrum. Iam planning to spend in the range of 400-500 dollars. After chatting with the salesman narrowed down to two bikes, Motobecane 400ht red (her favorite color) , and a white 08 Windsor 4500. This will be her first bike, and is for back trail riding at Memorial park, if any of you are familiar with the Houston area. After a few discussions with the tech/salesman, he did say that the Windsor did have better components for the price at 400$ on sale was originally for 600$. Motobecane was 479$ on sale as well. He was saying the Motobecane are a little better well known, while the Windsor being a UK company mainly more if roadbike heritage I believe. Saying she was new to bikes he recommended she probably wasnt gonna even notice the different between neither if I were to buy her either or. He was saying of course from a Man's perspective I was looking at parts and functionality which the windsor seems to beat the Motobecane in components, but I have seen or found very few reviews or praise on Windsor bikes as they are fairly new to the market. Plus i thought he brought up a good point not shopping for Me but for her ...and the motobencane seems like a great setup as well and happens to be here favorite color. So pretty much wonder what you guys had to say over the Windsor 4500 vs the Motobecane 400ht. Which is the better bike overall performance for price. The saleman was recommending the Windsor for value if color wasnt much of a problem. Geez if women didnt have to make everything a fashion statment life would be so much easier.. Any opinions are appreciated, Thanks

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The Motobecane, Windsor, Mercier, and Dawes name on those bikes have absolutely nothing to do with the old European brands that share the same name. They are all owned by the same company that owns BikesDirect.com and Cycle Spectrum.

Buy the one in her favorite color...trust me, its more important than the components. That said the Windsor or Dawes comes with a Rock Shox Dart, which is a low end fork but will have more parts available if needed. Also, all three have a 11-28 cassette in the rear, might want to have the shop swap/upgrade to a 11-32 just to provide an extra low gear if you do any climbing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.