Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hoping the many morons I have made fun of over the years, i.e., those who from their mom's basement vie to post the most esoteric and e-masturbation worthy abortions with drop bars etc., can now instead help me.

I will be commuting to work whenever possible moving forward. The only bike I have now is a mountain bike that is configured as a true mountain bike and dont want to change that. The approximate 25 mile route will consist of random roads, to include an 8 mile fireroad dropping me nearby work that would be all dirt...and the like.

I will not have much money to spend (<$1500). I know nothing of cyclocross bikes etc. and while they could work i am sure, tell me about so-called "touring' bikes?

Would bikes such as salsa fargo (yeah i know thats considered a 29er MTB), salsa vaya, surly cross check with flat bars etc. work? I could also get something like an On One which i liked and just put thinner tires on. Or is this one of those questions that is simply answered by get whatever the eff you want and feel comfortable on?

Anyway, since i asked nicely please let me know your thoughts, but not those of your mom, just related to the question.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
787 Posts
hey fo, built this cross check last year and it has seen many miles since. from commuting to some of my favorite trials. single speed set up 32/18, 35mm small block 8's, on one mary bar....etc. i chose a cross style bike for the geometry as well a bit more strength than a touring bike. i really enjoy being able to commute and bomb some trails with the same bike.:D

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LandSpeed said:
It's nice knowing that someone like you will never afford a bike like mine.

What do you mean "somebody like you"? Sounds racist to me and I hope the mods address it accordingly. Because I can't afford a bike made by I think his name is Sherman, does not make u better than me.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kreater said:
hey fo, built this cross check last year and it has seen many miles since. from commuting to some of my favorite trials. single speed set up 32/18, 35mm small block 8's, on one mary bar....etc. i chose a cross style bike for the geometry as well a bit more strength than a touring bike. i really enjoy being able to commute and bomb some trails with the same bike.:D
Very cool. Something exactly like that but with gears seems perfect!

·