Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 14 Y.O biker from Australia. I'm looking to buy a new bike for $2000-$2500 (Australian). I mainly ride XC. I,m 6ft 1. I was thinking the Giant NRS 2 or a Specialized Stumpjumper or Enduro. Comments?
Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
xcmtb200 said:
I'm a 14 Y.O biker from Australia. I'm looking to buy a new bike for $2000-$2500 (Australian). I mainly ride XC. I,m 6ft 1. I was thinking the Giant NRS 2 or a Specialized Stumpjumper or Enduro. Comments?
Thanks.
Can you provide us with some prices of the bikes you are interested in? We're mainly from the states so we aren't familiar with australian bike prices. I have rotate between Singapore and the US so I'm pretty familiar with Singapore bike prices, and I think the australian dollar and the singapore dollar are pretty close. i just bought a fuel 95 with all my upgrades(chris king, thomson, selle ti, duke race) for S$5000+. So please give us a gauge. Thanks.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
All depends on your riding style, if you're into XC racing the NRS will be the bike to buy but if you like all around riding without racing the Stumpjumper FSR will be the best fit between the 3 choices.

The Stumpjumper is lighter than the Enduro and both share the same type of suspension but not the same travel.

Have you considered the VT, Cake, Liquid and other all mountain bikes?

My .02

·
Registered
77 Posts
The NRS has a really harsh ride, because it runs with the suspension topped out to acheive an efficient ride. The stumpjumper is probably what you are looking for, its also light and efficient enough to race if you decide you want to do that, plus its still comfortable to ride on the trails. The enduro is more of an all-mountain or trailbike, its a bit heavier but also stronger and has more travel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are already over 6' at 14, you are likely going to grow a bit more-the lower stand over height of the specialized would allow you to get a bit bigger frame (XL?) that would still fit you in a couple years. It would be a drag to grow out of a nice new bike in a year or so... Stumpy Pro disk is a great XC bike and you can't beat the warranty-

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prices

The Nrs is about $2499
The Stumpjumper Fsr is about $ 2700
And the enduro i don't know

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Specialized bikes are way over priced in Australia. To get the bike equal to the NRS2 you have to pay about an extra grand!
I still reccon the NRS is a good deal, and if you can afford it, then the 2005 VT2, which will be about 2900.
Maybe look at GT, Kona, jamis.....???
Where abouts in Aus you live?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live on the Central Coast of New South Wales. What about a Rockhopper Comp Disc for $2100?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts