Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject must be beatten to death here but still can't find a site/tool to help me select the right size bike.

Greatly appreciate if you can point me to one. I'd like to do my own research before I go to the store.

Thanks

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,879 Posts
ssphoenix said:
This subject must be beatten to death here but still can't find a site/tool to help me select the right size bike.

Greatly appreciate if you can point me to one. I'd like to do my own research before I go to the store.

Thanks
There is a lot of good info out there on fit for road bikes, but mountain bike fit is still not a very refined science. The best thing to do is if you are looking at a particular model of bike, ask around on this site what size people of your height and inseam are riding. The size you will need will vary from model to model. For example, I ride a small Surly Karate Monkey and a large Iron Horse MKIII.

If you do find a bike that fits well, find out what the effective top tube measurement is, as this is going to be the most important measurement, NOT the seat tube measurement.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Forget the websites and forget over-priced bike shop fittings. Pick up the book Zinn & The Art to Mountain Bike Maintenance. He has a detailed appendix section on bike fit. I even emailed him after I studied it to further refine my calculations. Every time I am looking for a new frame, I break out his book and my notes. (Not to metnion the other great info in the book on general bike mechanics). Every mtber should have this book (that's not a plug for Zinn, but for those who have it, know it's worth).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike Fitting

Nice. I alwasy wanted a good book about bikes. Definately will look into it. After reading just about every available site (literally) about bike fitting, I came to the conclusion that one would have a better chances of getting a closer fit on a road bike but mountain bike fitting it is not a true science. What it all boils down to is the top tube size that matter the most. Everything else will fit in place with some degree of minor adjustments.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now on to find my bike. Build or Buy?

·
Proud Snob
286 Posts
You spend all day in the same general position on a road bike. Fit is incredibly important. On a mountain bike though, you move around a lot as the situation calls for. Getting your reach down is pretty much all you need to worry about to start. Everything else can be considered dynamic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts