Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am 5' 10.5" with fairly typical proportions - perhaps my legs are a bit on the short side. Anyways, I recently rode a friend's bike on a recent vacation. It is a typical 5.5" AM bike with a 68 degree HA. It is a medium and has a 23.25" TT, 685mm bars and 90mm stem. I am looking to get the same bike.

The size of his bike feels really good to me, but I am definitely going to run a 65mm or 70mm stem and either 685 or 711mm bars. I will be using the bike for everything - XC, technical climbs and downhill stuff with 3 to 4' drops. I am not a racer, but like to ride everything as fast as I can and usually have to climb up to bomb down.

With my stem choice, I will be shortening the cockpit by about 1". My question is, should I move up to a large frame which has a 24.25" TT, which would effectively give me the same cockpit size? The standover on both sizes is fine for me. I am afraid that if I get the medium frame that I will feel cramped with my shorter stem.

FWIW, my friend lives out of town and I did not/will not have a chance to ride his bike again and be able to switch out stems.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't forget, the top tube length isn't the only thing that changes when you go from a medium to large frame. The seat tube will get longer as well. You have to be careful of standover height. If you're able, test ride a bike at the shop where you will be ordering with a similar top tube length. Then have the shop change out the stem for a shorter one. It should give you an idea of what you're in for.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
b-kul said:
we need someone to tell it like it is. post your wisdom futo!
When futo climbs out from under his rock this will be his reply...any bets?

FUTO SAYS...what ever size stem you are using--put a shorter on!!!
It'll make your bike "FIT" better! lol :thumbsup:

Edit: just kidding futo!

·
Registered
147 Posts
it will be up to you...but i ride a transition covert (6") in size medium. TT is 23" and I run a 60mm stem and 711 bars. I am 5"10 and normal proportion. This setup really works for me but this is the smallest travel bike I ride so I am more used to short stem wide bars.

·
Registered
829 Posts
To the OP, you need to try to test ride some bikes to know how they will fit. Asking here what frame size you should buy will get you a bunch of speculation. AND THAT'S FINE!!! Not looking for another "debate" just saying that choosing a frame size based on the opinions of strangers on the internet will get you results almost as good as this approach...

·
Registered
829 Posts
The tao of potaoto: you listen to me and do as I say. That's what I think, anyway. And then you'll be truly happy. Not falsely happy. And your bikes will fit you better, no matter how you choose to ride them.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
fotu said:
The tao of potaoto: you listen to me and do as I say. That's what I think, anyway. And then you'll be truly happy. Not falsely happy. And your bikes will fit you better, no matter how you choose to ride them.
FOTU...FOTU...AHOMMM....AHOMMM...FOTU...FOTU...AHOMMM....AHOMMM

I feel the force within this young one!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fotu said:
To the OP, you need to try to test ride some bikes to know how they will fit. Asking here what frame size you should buy will get you a bunch of speculation. AND THAT'S FINE!!! Not looking for another "debate" just saying that choosing a frame size based on the opinions of strangers on the internet will get you results almost as good as this approach...
I guess that I was just trying to see what was the general consensus was on how the shortening of a stem affects your overall bike fit. I just figured that if I was to shorten the stem on a bike (that fits my well) by 1", then I should probably consider (all else being equal) lengthening the TT by the same amount - i.e. go up a frame size.

I guess that there are just too many variables.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.