Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Your bike sucks
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was installing a new BB to hopefully fix some chainline problems on my Vulture...Everything was going well and then 'SNAP'. One end of the pinch bolt on the EBB breaks off. Crap. Of course, I don't blame anyone except myself. I guess I got a little heavy handed with the allen wrench. And to think, I used to be a mechanic.

Truth be told, I think the 'real' damage occurred a few months ago when I was adjusting my EBB during a ride. My EBB had shifted 3 times (yes folks they can slip) on that ride and I cranked her extra tight to make sure I didn't bang my knee again. When I got back home I noticed the slot for pinch bolt looked a little deformed.

This has been the worst cycling season of my life. Everything thing that could go wrong did: major injury to my hand - months off, sickness - time off again, major wreck and trip to the ER - rearranged face and time off, and now broken Vulture. Steer clear of me fellas, I've got the bad JUJU.

Anyone want to give me some advice on getting this fixed? Right now, I'm planning on giving it to a local welder wiz to reattach.

End of rant. Thanks. C.

Attachments

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Scary.
having talked to wade about this very thing last week, he said that most people tend to overtighten.
i told him that I usually tighten my pinch bolts until the seam closes and he replied that even that is too tight.
I know how frustrating it gets when it seems nothing goes right. Perhaps a week of trail running (while you wait for the tab to get welded back on) will be just the prescription for a renewed vigor for riding...
I'm sure Wade will weld that back on.. prolly won't re-paint the area, but it might be a cool badge of courage? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry, but thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your EBB problems. I currently use a soulcraft chain tensioner on my SS and thought it would be GREAT to get rid of it using a EBB. I didn't know they slip and worse can some times be ruined. Ouch. Thanks for the info and post. Hopefully, you can get that brazed.

I guess my grass IS really greener.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
jgmtbr said:
I'm sorry to hear about your EBB problems. I currently use a soulcraft chain tensioner on my SS and thought it would be GREAT to get rid of it using a EBB. I didn't know they slip and worse can some times be ruined. Ouch. Thanks for the info and post. Hopefully, you can get that brazed.
I guess my grass IS really greener.
Whoa there.
Your grass is anything but green. :eek:
Our friends EBB woe's are the exception and not the norm. I know at least 15 riders using the EBB and not one have ever had them slip. I have not had mine slip in 9 months of riding. My soulcraft I had on the other hand, was a true nightmare and I am so happy it's out of my life.
Any bike part can be ruined. Track dropouts slip, sometimes. Tensioners break or don't tension, sometime, or skip. EBB's do the same.
I for one, will NEVER ever return to track dropouts or a tensioner. A new SS for the wife is in store in the next year, and that will have an EBB too.
Be careful not to make quick assumptions that are widespread based on one report from one rider.

·
Your bike sucks
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't make blanket statements about universal EBB effectiveness over tensioners or track ends but having used all three - I can relate my experiences-> I've slipped or thrown all of them.. My Surly tensioner was the worst of the three - followed by the track ends with the EBB having the least issues (until yesterday). I like the EBB system. Perhaps I didn't tighten enough until I had the 'frustration and slippage' ride and then over compensated. I dunno. Overall, I'd say it slipped about 5 times - usually resulting in a thrown chain. Hmmmm, I'm diggin into my memory banks trying to recall if I had chain drop issues before I switched to a different hub (which changed my chainline and caused some issues). Not sure. But there is little doubt that, at some point, the EBB slipped under load. Chain was the correct tension before the drop and very loose afterward (the hub didn't slip btw). Did the slip cause the drop or the drop cause the slip? Not sure. These drops always happen under heavy torque. Makes you a little skittish about going full out, you know?

And for the record, I don't blame Wade (of course, he doesn't build the EBB shell) or even the shell manufacturer. This one is my bad. I'm mad at myself. I really should know better. I'm even a big nerd who ALWAYS uses a torque wrench on BB shells and crank arm bolts (anyone have torque recommendations for EBB?).

And, yes, this season sucks for me. I own a few bikes and have been riding my cross bike on the road trying to rebuild form, fitness and confidence in an attempt to salvage the rest of the season. I'll probably stick with that. Hopefully, I can get the Vulture fixed before I start jones'n for dirt again. Funny that Padre mentioned trail running - I was pounding dirt early in the season after I busted my hand. Hard stuff.

Just thought I'd share.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jgmtbr said:
I... I currently use a soulcraft chain tensioner on my SS and thought it would be GREAT to get rid of it using a EBB...
An EBB is also not something you just add to your bike like a tensioner. It must be built into the frame. The BB shell is much larger diameter than a standard shell and even bigger than a BMX shell.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Carl Mega said:
My Surly tensioner was the worst of the three - followed by the track ends with the EBB having the least issues (until yesterday). I like the EBB system.
I would look first to chainline as a root cause.
Like you, I tried the Surly tensioner and broke 2 before ever leaving the parking lot of the shop. Track ends worked terribly, until I got a CK hub, then it improved 90% w/ those huge 8mm funbolts. But who wants to carry around a tool to remove the rear wheel? :):
My EBB has been flawless requiring me to bring the slack out of a growing chain only 3 times since last November.
let's not forget the other savior of having an EBB.. .your wheel is always straight when you put the wheel in!
don't give up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Torque info request

I'd like to second the call for torque recomendations for pinch-bolt EBB's. Anybody out there (esp. Wade) routinely slap a torque wrench on those bad boys?? I actually haven't used one on mine (I feel it is a little too easy for me to over-tighten with mine... makes me nervous when I look at the pinch bolt bits), but I would if I knew what to shoot for. And I'd like to add that I am still very happy with my EBB on my Vulture. But I do tend to under-tighten mine once in a while, and then have to mess with it in the field every now and then.

·
Registered
136 Posts
New frame

Of course, I was planning this on a NEW frame... I wasn't trying to incorporate an EBB into an existing frame. I apologize for not being clear.

I have had ZERO problems with the soulcraft. I just like the cleaner look of a bike without one and I don't want to go with special hubs, dropouts or be limited to rim brakes. I like interchangeability between ALL my mtb bikes... geared and not geared.

I like to have several tools; and I try to choose the right one for the job. When you only have a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
What's going on with that BB? In the photo it appears that neither the stress distributor holes nor the slots are parallel, and if that was also the case with the pinchbolts, then when you tighten the bolt you're in effect trying to twist them off. I'm not sure if that's the case, but it's certainly a possibility. For me the Bushnell seems to be a better solution. With such a large amount of torque going through the BB, a split clamp or a set screw design seems like a less than optimal solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.