Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one.

I'll get straight to the point>>> I am buying a new mtn bike and have chosen freeride :)

ill post a few links and ask you guys which is the best for: value performance ratio, Cost effective, overall goodness :D.

First of all I have been looking through Giant, Specialized, Kona,etc... any others... Norco, etc.

The bikes which have most caught my eye are the Giant STP series here. The Kona ones here and here.

any others... i really need to get this info quick as i am travelling to Canada in less that a month.

BTW, my budget is around 1500-1700 AU (australian)

what else?

thanks alot

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you are headed to Canada, why not check out the used market. You will be arriving in the off season, or near the time people are thinking about getting the newest,latest and greatest stuff, so you can probably score some really great deals on last year's latest, greatest stuff. I think that is what I would do anyway. I am assuming you will be in BC?

If so , check out the NSMB board's buy& sell section. There is also a Buy & Sell magazine/website that you should check. Lots of good deals there all centred on the Vancouver lower mainland.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the stp is a very nice choice. they are VERY reliable, and lenosky deisgned that frame, and the stp zero has alot of the componantry on his dj bike. im not sure if its designed as much for hucks and stuff, but deff like urban drops and stuff up to like 7 feet.

norco has a good line of freeride bikes too. their shore hardtails are very nice and strong, for a good price. deffinatly a hucking bike more than urban.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
KevinM[Freerider] said:
the stp is a very nice choice. they are VERY reliable, and lenosky deisgned that frame, and the stp zero has alot of the componantry on his dj bike. im not sure if its designed as much for hucks and stuff, but deff like urban drops and stuff up to like 7 feet.

norco has a good line of freeride bikes too. their shore hardtails are very nice and strong, for a good price. deffinatly a hucking bike more than urban.
Thanks, this is the kind of information i want to hear. I was thinking the 2006 STP 1 (from the Canadian Giant website) its going for $1259 CAD, good choice? Any other tips for me when riding? Should i just get a normal helmet? any other vital equipment needed? Since i am a beginner (AKA, not very good at anything :)), i will practice alot and hope to learn some tips from you guys/girls...

Could you please define hucking and urban,(sorry i am new to all the mtn bike Jargon).
Any more suggestions?

Thanks alot

Laurence

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
a little more info would be helpful....like how big do you drop (most of the time) what is your ability, weight, Freeride is way to vague

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
a huck is a drop that is very big to you, or a big drop. urban is riding usualy in the sub urbs or city where u find cool and interesting things to ride and ride them. like stairsets, retainingwalls maybe, bunny hopping things, jumping over things, anything in the city, even drops.

what do you plan on doing with your new bike? this will help alot of people help give advice.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
this might help with your chouce http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=151525 its in american dollars though. just find the bike thats in your pricerange and then compare.

if I were you, I would go with the Kona stuff. kona really punish their products before they send them out there to the world. I'm getting ready to purchase a Kona product, I love their frames. well built. I didnt really like the STP. I rode a 2005 STP 1 for a while, but you really are going to have to run SS. but this is only because of a pet peeve of mine. I hate chain slap, it can screw you up when riding and it can also just be really annoying to hear that "thunk" while riding. with the STP frame and the stock gearing makes the chain run REALLY close to the chainstay, thus a lot of chain slap.

either way, your going to be pretty happy. But the Kona Stuff has way better components and is going to last you longer.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
todd_freeride said:
this might help with your chouce http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=151525 its in american dollars though. just find the bike thats in your pricerange and then compare.

if I were you, I would go with the Kona stuff. kona really punish their products before they send them out there to the world. I'm getting ready to purchase a Kona product, I love their frames. well built. I didnt really like the STP. I rode a 2005 STP 1 for a while, but you really are going to have to run SS. but this is only because of a pet peeve of mine. I hate chain slap, it can screw you up when riding and it can also just be really annoying to hear that "thunk" while riding. with the STP frame and the stock gearing makes the chain run REALLY close to the chainstay, thus a lot of chain slap.

either way, your going to be pretty happy. But the Kona Stuff has way better components and is going to last you longer.
Thanks for the input mate! Well, i have also noticed a Rocky Mountain Flow 2.0 here, a Norco Sasquatch here.
But i REALLY like the Kona Stuff, how good are they (as compared to a STP or Flow 2.0) in terms of urban and trail (minor, but still will) and/or anything else?

I live in a small town on top of a hill (well, a small mountain, to be more specific an Extict volcano). There are trails nearby, but most of the time will be street/urban etc... I like alot of riding really.

Thanks alot everyone for your input.

in respone to the other questions: I am 168cm tall (not sure in Inch's, sorry.

BTW, I am a n00b in terms of trick abilities, but i am very willing to learn...

thanks, Laurence

·
SpitFire Pilot
172 Posts
You say that you're going to be doing a lot of urban/street etc, so the STP is probably a good choice. But I think that the Gary Fisher Bigg'ns line deserves some consideration as well. It seems to be a good all-rounder. You can change the forks/travel (and thus) geometry for dj-ing and rough trails. It'll take it all, and the frame only weighs few pounds more than a GF Marlin.

My 0.02

-PB

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your input :)

I have yet to test ride any bikes until i get into Canada (on Jan 16th). My choice bikes to have a look at are:

2006 Giant STP 1
here
= $1205CAD(at a bike shop in BC)
2006 Kona Stuff
here
= $1249CAD
2006 Norco Sasquatch
here
= $1279CAD
2006 Rocky Mountain Flow 2.0
here
= $N/A (not sure, i am guessing $1250CAD

Anything else?

Those are my main choices when deciding to get my bike, also i will try to 'haggle' the pirce down some. Maybe even get some free gear (e.g. helmet/gloves or pump and any other accessories).

Thanks everyone for your input!!

Keep the suggestions coming, also any tips to give me when going to purchase a bike will be taken into consideration...

Thanks alot guys. I will be here on the forum for a long time to come to get insider info on new tech, also to get riding tips and/or anything else of interest to me!

Peace Out

Laurence

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:

only 7ft? i remember seeing lenosky doing a demo indoors on an xc bike and he did a 12ft drop. why wouldn't the urban bike be able to handle more? i've done a 7ft drop on my specialized hardrock...i think the stp would handle more.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
borry said:
Thanks everyone for your input :)

I have yet to test ride any bikes until i get into Canada (on Jan 16th). My choice bikes to have a look at are:

2006 Giant STP 1
here
= $1205CAD(at a bike shop in BC)
2006 Kona Stuff
here
= $1249CAD
2006 Norco Sasquatch
here
= $1279CAD
2006 Rocky Mountain Flow 2.0
here
= $N/A (not sure, i am guessing $1250CAD

Anything else?

Those are my main choices when deciding to get my bike, also i will try to 'haggle' the pirce down some. Maybe even get some free gear (e.g. helmet/gloves or pump and any other accessories).

Thanks everyone for your input!!

Keep the suggestions coming, also any tips to give me when going to purchase a bike will be taken into consideration...

Thanks alot guys. I will be here on the forum for a long time to come to get insider info on new tech, also to get riding tips and/or anything else of interest to me!

Peace Out

Laurence
BUMP^^^ some one please, i need suggestions

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
m88tow said:
Go with the STP man.
Thanks, that is my #1 decision anyway.

I am hoping to have many fun times with this bike, learn alot off new tricks/tips to practice,etc.

My only gripe is that i dont want to ride my bike to work because i cant leave it anywhere safe (i lock it to a pole out the front of the shop), and i wouldn't want anyone to steal my 1500 rig. Any suggestions for a lock(s)?

I have heard combination locks are good...
what about having 2 or more cables (what thickness?) and normal padlocks, is that an ideal anti theft procedure?

thanks everyone

·
Registered
34 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Whistler is selling all their rental bikes from last year
http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/
$1399-$1599 in canadian dollars.
I would seriously consider this option, if you are looking used. I have seen most of the bikes they are selling, and they are all in very good condition, IMO. The forks still feel really good, and most of them still look good cosmetically.
Basically, they are a steal, for what you get, and most of them have not seen any more than 20 days on the mountain.
You have to keep in mind, that with these bikes, they are rented out, by newbies, who really are just babying them, compared to the carnage you can put one of those bikes through. Infact, most of them probably get ridden on BLine all year. I rarely see a rental on the tougher trails. How many times did you see somebody bombing Original Sin on a rental? I never did.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
powderrecon said:
I would seriously consider this option, if you are looking used. I have seen most of the bikes they are selling, and they are all in very good condition, IMO. The forks still feel really good, and most of them still look good cosmetically.
Basically, they are a steal, for what you get, and most of them have not seen any more than 20 days on the mountain.
You have to keep in mind, that with these bikes, they are rented out, by newbies, who really are just babying them, compared to the carnage you can put one of those bikes through. Infact, most of them probably get ridden on BLine all year. I rarely see a rental on the tougher trails. How many times did you see somebody bombing Original Sin on a rental? I never did.
from what i can see on the website there are only 2 bikes, Whats goin' on?

did i miss something?

thanks for reminding me...

·
Registered
34 Posts
borry said:
from what i can see on the website there are only 2 bikes, Whats goin' on?

did i miss something?

thanks for reminding me...
There should be a link to a guys email address. Here it is anyway.

[email protected]

They only have 1 type of bike. Even though the webpage mentions Stab Garbonzo's, I am pretty sure they are all FreightTrains....as in the new trail up there.

If that doesnt work for you, I can put you in contact with the boys at Summit Sports. They are selling off their 2005 RMX's. You dont get as much, however still a great deal for about $1700.

Whistler buys their bikes really cheap....like insanely cheap. I am sure they are making money on them, when they sell them for $1500. They come with awesome parts. Everybody wants to put their components on bikes at Whistler. Its the best advertising at the best bike park in the world.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.