Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I bought a 2021 Fathom 2 29er XL, and have had it almost a year now. About a month or so ago, I heard some creaking while pedaling, and after some inspection(finding nothing visual and couldn't really pin point the culprit), I decided to move my dropper seat post a bit, and voila, it stopped. All was good until about 2 weeks ago, I washed my bike and that creaking is back, but 10 times worse.

I can't find what might be causing it. I moved my seat again, happens mainly when I pedal, but the other day, I found that is I sit on the bike, holding both brakes, and rock forward and back, it creaks. So to me I don't feel it is bottom bracket or brakes, nor the seat, so I am lost.

Please let me know what to check.

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple years ago we had a guy in our group with an annoying creak. We debated what it was (bottom bracket, derailleur, shoes, cleats).

Ended up being the seat post.
I have read about dropper seats creaking, but it even does it when I stand and peddle. But not all the time.
So you run clipless? SPDs tend to creak pretty bad the older they get.
I run regular Giant flats. (if that's what you're talking about)They seem solid and are still pretty new.
Either you have a bolt that needs tightening, or you need some grease somewhere... or both.
Wonder if maybe rear axle? I haven't checked that yet. Maybe since it was brand new when purchased, it's kinda broken in now???

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Couple years ago we had a guy in our group with an annoying creak. We debated what it was (bottom bracket, derailleur, shoes, cleats).

Ended up being the seat post.
68.73% of the time there's a creak or click, it's the seat post.

89.32% of the time, people on the internet make up stats. However, that doesn't mean the above statement is wrong.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It very well could be your headset needing grease.
You know what, that's worth checking out for sure. I was one of the "chosen" Giant Crest 34 shock clicking individuals, and they recently replaced my shock.

When I went to pick the bike up, the stem was loose( they tightened the headset clamp before the cap). They fixed it right then and there, but it didn't even cross my mind that that could be it.

Thx.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
68.73% of the time there's a creak or click, it's the seat post.

89.32% of the time, people on the internet make up stats. However, that doesn't mean the above statement is wrong.
I'm not too sure I follow... The individual that post the seat post comment didn't put a stat, rather an experience.

Are you agreeing with him or think it might be something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Start by elimination....if you stand up and pedal and it quits making the noise it is your seat or seat post. If it still makes the noise when you are standing it probably is bottom bracket or pedals.
Yea, the first time I experienced it, it was only when I sat, but now, after washing it, it's both... more-so if I peddle harder too. So may be the pedals or BB, but then again, when I peddle harder, I apply more pressure on bars(headset), so I will try to deep dive into it more this weekend, hopefully finding the culprit, because it is extremely annoying.

Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not too sure I follow... The individual that post the seat post comment didn't put a stat, rather an experience.

Are you agreeing with him or think it might be something else?

Thanks.

My post was intended to be somewhat humorous. I made up a stat, and stated that many people make up stats (poking fun at myself).

My point is that (in my experience and the experience of people I know who ride bikes a lot) a lot of bike noises like creaks and clicks turn out to be the seat post way more often than one would think. So much so that it's kind of funny after you've experienced it enough times. ronhextall's post is yet another example.

Based on your latest observations, it sounds like it might be something other than the seat post since it happens when you're standing. For your issues, I would start at one end of the bike and work to the other. For metal-metal contact, grease it. For carbon-carbon contact, carbon paste it. Tighten all bolts to the recommended torque. Check EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I know where you're at. My Giant gets the creaks 100% every time I wash it. It's got to the point now where i don't wash it unless I have some time between the wash and my next ride to work on it.

Disassemble, clean, and re-grease the headset, seat post, and saddle clamp/rail interface and it should make it go away. If that don't work, do the same to the BB and pedals. If all those don't get it to quiet down, take it to the LBS and let them fiddle with it. Life is too short to chase creaks.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Noises are notoriously are hard to track down. You need to start with the most likely places ,since you stopped it once at the post ,I'd pull it and grease or carbon paste it ,maybe some on the collar too. Then I'd check the saddle bracket /post grease that too. Check the headset to make sure it's not loose. Service the pedals ,grease the axles when you reinstall them. Check the chain ring bolts. If the shock pivots haven't been serviced ,it might be time. Check every bolt. I once found a noise that was coming from the derailleur hanger bolt.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Noises are notoriously are hard to track down. You need to start with the most likely places ,since you stopped it once at the post ,I'd pull it and grease or carbon paste it ,maybe some on the collar too. Then I'd check the saddle bracket /post grease that too. Check the headset to make sure it's not loose. Service the pedals ,grease the axles when you reinstall them. Check the chain ring bolts. If the shock pivots haven't been serviced ,it might be time. Check every bolt. I once found a noise that was coming from the derailleur hanger bolt.
I've been riding bikes for a long time. That's one I have not yet experienced. LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My post was intended to be somewhat humorous. I made up a stat, and stated that many people make up stats (poking fun at myself).

My point is that (in my experience and the experience of people I know who ride bikes a lot) a lot of bike noises like creaks and clicks turn out to be the seat post way more often than one would think. So much so that it's kind of funny after you've experienced it enough times. ronhextall's post is yet another example.

Based on your latest observations, it sounds like it might be something other than the seat post since it happens when you're standing. For your issues, I would start at one end of the bike and work to the other. For metal-metal contact, grease it. For carbon-carbon contact, carbon paste it. Tighten all bolts to the recommended torque. Check EVERYTHING.
I know where you're at. My Giant gets the creaks 100% every time I wash it. It's got to the point now where i don't wash it unless I have some time between the wash and my next ride to work on it.

Disassemble, clean, and re-grease the headset, seat post, and saddle clamp/rail interface and it should make it go away. If that don't work, do the same to the BB and pedals. If all those don't get it to quiet down, take it to the LBS and let them fiddle with it. Life is too short to chase creaks.
Not sure what advice is above this post but to me it sounds like a lose headset.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I never really thought about all the spots that I could actually Creak as I recently got rid of an old GT avalanche from 2003 time frame and I never experienced the creek on that bike so I can honestly say I almost feared the worst when I heard it on my new bike but after these comments, I got good starting points and hopefully I can find the culprit. Thanks again

·
since 4/10/2009
37,088 Posts
if the noise isn't something obvious, then you have to approach things systematically to eliminate possible causes and eventually track down the culprit. Not really any other way around it.

My method is to investigate the causes that have been the most common for me. Seat clamp, seatpost, and pedals being the major ones. Drivetrain cleaning being somewhere on that list. Check for loose bolts. After that it turns into a systematic disassembly, cleaning, and lubing (where necessary). That's rare, because the vast majority of the time it ends up being the seatpost or the seat clamp. Specifically, dirt thrown up from the rear tire onto those clamped interfaces results in creaking. Remove, clean, lube as necessary.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.