Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Asheville YetiRider
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: I would appreciate any suggestions on where I can find a new or used hard shell bike container. It can not be more then 62 linier inches max. Or if you know anyone flying their private jet to Costa Rico in April let me know. Thank's :yesnod:

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a "real" bike box less than 62 linear inches. However, you "may" be able to make 2 smaller boxes out of cardboard and pack the frame separate from the wheels. Even to fit a frame in such a small volume you will have to remove the fork/bars, saddle/post, and maybe even the crankset/rings. It's a major PITA. I have one of those trapezoidal shaped boxes (you know, with the angled ends) from Performance and have flown with it a few times. I figure that if I'm going on a major trip and don't want to rent some P.O.S. that's it's best to have it in a nice box and just cough up the money for flying with it. If you fly in the US, take Southwest everywhere you can. They charge only $50 for a bike. But for Costa Rica, I haven't a clue.

Is there more than one airline choice for you to get there? Maybe one has a smaller fee than the other... who knows.

There are some really good threads on this topic if you search for them.

·
Asheville YetiRider
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
40hills said:
I don't think you're going to find a "real" bike box less than 62 linear inches. However, you "may" be able to make 2 smaller boxes out of cardboard and pack the frame separate from the wheels. Even to fit a frame in such a small volume you will have to remove the fork/bars, saddle/post, and maybe even the crankset/rings. It's a major PITA. I have one of those trapezoidal shaped boxes (you know, with the angled ends) from Performance and have flown with it a few times. I figure that if I'm going on a major trip and don't want to rent some P.O.S. that's it's best to have it in a nice box and just cough up the money for flying with it. If you fly in the US, take Southwest everywhere you can. They charge only $50 for a bike. But for Costa Rica, I haven't a clue.

Is there more than one airline choice for you to get there? Maybe one has a smaller fee than the other... who knows.

There are some really good threads on this topic if you search for them.
Thanks for the feedback. Delta wants to charge us a $300 Bike Fee. 62 inched is the max they allow before chargeing oversize fees. I found a 62 in. hard shell for $400. I was hopping to maybe find one cheaper or used. I don't mind breaking down the Yeti if I can keep it all in one container. I figure less chance for lost bags. I'll see if I can find those other threads you mention.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Asheville YetiRider said:
Thanks for the feedback. Delta wants to charge us a $300 Bike Fee. 62 inched is the max they allow before chargeing oversize fees. I found a 62 in. hard shell for $400. I was hopping to maybe find one cheaper or used. I don't mind breaking down the Yeti if I can keep it all in one container. I figure less chance for lost bags. I'll see if I can find those other threads you mention.
Just use the keyword "flying" in a search.

Here's a pretty good one... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=425479&highlight=flying

And behold THIS one... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3502838#poststop

·
Asheville YetiRider
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are some great cases. However sizes matter. And in this case the smaller the better. When the overall Width is added to the Length and Hight cannot add up to more then 62 inches. Thats the max size delta will allow before calling it a "bike" and charging $300 more.
This is as close as I have come so far. I was kinda hoping to find it cheaper, maybe used.
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...el+Hard+Case&vendorCode=SANDS&major=9&minor=1

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Those are some great cases. However sizes matter. And in this case the smaller the better. When the overall Width is added to the Length and Hight cannot add up to more then 62 inches. Thats the max size delta will allow before calling it a "bike" and charging $300 more.
This is as close as I have come so far. I was kinda hoping to find it cheaper, maybe used.
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...el+Hard+Case&vendorCode=SANDS&major=9&minor=1
Nice case, but I don't think you can fit a frame in it. Maybe a nice case for the components, and a cardboard one for the frame would work. Of course that would put you into the "fee" zone for excess bags etc., but would probably be a lot less than $300!

·
Asheville YetiRider
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Putting the frame in another bag sounds like a good idea if I can't get it all to fit. The inside of the case is suppose to be 27" and after I remove the rear triangle my 575 frame is just shy of 27" so I guess I wont know till I try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thule Bike Boxes.

My wife and I have flown alot with our Thule Bike Boxes, they are the hard shell variety. We have had varying experiences with paying airline fees. From what I can tell, it is completely hit or miss and mainly comes down to the person at the counter. This winter we flew to and from Chile with them and did not pay anything, one weighed 72 lbs and the other 69. When we were in Chile we flew from Santiago to Calama and had to pay $56. When we flew to Costa Rica last year we paid $300 on the way and nothing on the way back. All and all I think we pay 25% of the time probably flying with bikes 3 round trips per year, total 15 trips.

You may also want to look at Pica bags, they are just as expensive as hard shells. But sometimes if you can keep it under the weight you will avoid the bike penalty.

If you would like to borrow/rent to own let me know, we can work something out. Also I am curious we rode across Costa Rica last year. Had a blast where are you going? I hope you are with a good group or tour guide. A lot of what the locals consider mountain bike trails are really fire roads, which I would say are more treacherous then Farlow. We were lucky enough to have a great guide that took us on home made trails. They were very, very humbling. There aren't many bike shops outside of San Jose, bring spares.:thumbsup:

Rich

·
Asheville YetiRider
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank's for the info. A friend swears by the Pica bag. I am really looking for a bag that does not exceed Delta's size limit of 62 linear inches. I found this one but I was hopping to find it cheaper or used. http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...el+Hard+Case&vendorCode=SANDS&major=9&minor=1
Were going to be doing this race (room and board included). I friend has done it a couple times already he says its his fav.
http://www.retodelosvolcanes.com/en...ge=abouttherace&CFID=7997660&CFTOKEN=41081432
Do you have any pix from your trips that you want to share?

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
Thank's for the info. A friend swears by the Pica bag. I am really looking for a bag that does not exceed Delta's size limit of 62 linear inches. I found this one but I was hopping to find it cheaper or used. http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...el+Hard+Case&vendorCode=SANDS&major=9&minor=1
Were going to be doing this race (room and board included). I friend has done it a couple times already he says its his fav.
http://www.retodelosvolcanes.com/en...ge=abouttherace&CFID=7997660&CFTOKEN=41081432
Do you have any pix from your trips that you want to share?
wouldn't you need a bike with S&S couplers on it to break the bike down that small?

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
That case you posted may or may not work. Full suspension bikes sometimes break down small enough to fit in them, but sometimes they don't. You won't know unless you get one and try it, and you won't find a cheaper PRACTICAL option than the S&S case. I searched this one pretty hard awhile back, and the expense is justified since it maximizes the 62" rule as much as possible for bike specific packing.

Delta's fees suck. I fly other airlines if I'm traveling with a bike.

You should consider shipping it if you can get an address from the promoter. I do it about half the time I travel. When I do ship it I pack it in cardboard since the hard cases weigh a ton, and UNFORTUNATELY most cases DO NOT fit within the CURRENT UPS/FedEx standards for Dimensional Weight.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/dim_weight.html

That Performance Team case is outside the limits by a few inches, so they stick it in your ass with extra fees. Trust me.

·
Asheville YetiRider
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
teamdicky said:
That case you posted may or may not work. Full suspension bikes sometimes break down small enough to fit in them, but sometimes they don't. You won't know unless you get one and try it, and you won't find a cheaper PRACTICAL option than the S&S case. I searched this one pretty hard awhile back, and the expense is justified since it maximizes the 62" rule as much as possible for bike specific packing.

Delta's fees suck. I fly other airlines if I'm traveling with a bike.

You should consider shipping it if you can get an address from the promoter. I do it about half the time I travel. When I do ship it I pack it in cardboard since the hard cases weigh a ton, and UNFORTUNATELY most cases DO NOT fit within the CURRENT UPS/FedEx standards for Dimensional Weight.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/dim_weight.html

That Performance Team case is outside the limits by a few inches, so they stick it in your ass with extra fees. Trust me.
The 575 frame measures real close to fitting. Like you said I wont know till I try. So I figure I can use it for the rest of the components and wheels. I will just put the frame in Van's bag or carry a separate one for just the frame. Does that sound like that may work?

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
The 575 frame measures real close to fitting. Like you said I wont know till I try. So I figure I can use it for the rest of the components and wheels. I will just put the frame in Van's bag or carry a separate one for just the frame. Does that sound like that may work?
Worth a shot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Would be happy to post pictures, but I have no clue how to do it.

I believe I have been to one of the three volcanoes that you will be riding. You will be surprised at the terrain around the volcanoes, it will mostly be dead because of the acid rains coming from the fumes. Make sure that you bring outer clothes that that you can peel off, like arm and leg warmers. When you are at elevation 10,000 plus it gets cold and typically you are in a rain forest so you ride through clouds, then get wet and cold.

We are trying to decide whether or not to go back or goto Spain next Christmas. I would like to go back now that I have improved, I was humbled on some of the handbuilt downhills, humbled is an understatement...

Bottom line you will have a blast it really is a good country. Very friendly and not really Americanized, so be patient with locals. Have a sense of humor about the transportation. Great food and ONE good Beer, Imperial. I don't think I really saw any other beers the entire time we were there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.