Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
S*it Happens!
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just mounted a Sigma 506 computer on my bike. I set the tire size but because of my front fork I'm not able to mount the magnet and receiver as close to the rim as I think it should be. I'm about 3in down the spoke from the rim. So, will this give me an incorrect reading and should I try to compensate by setting it the computer a smaller wheel size?

Fred.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I suspect that your computer is just counting revolutions and multiplying by wheel circumference to determine distance. Distance x time would be used to determine speed, so the location of your spoke magnet on your wheel would not be relevant.

·
S*it Happens!
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

:crazy: Cool, E= Mc2 and all that. :crazy:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was also wondering the same.
So it doesn't matter if the sensor is located on the center or outer of the wheel, the speed and distance will be accurate ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
SDK^ said:
I was also wondering the same.
So it doesn't matter if the sensor is located on the center or outer of the wheel, the speed and distance will be accurate ?
Yup, though if you mounted it extremely close to the center it might not work, or be wonky. It measures how many times per second the magnet passes (rpm) and then takes the wheel circumference you enter and figures out the speed and distance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use cat eye computers but it makes no difference on mine if its close to the hub or close to tire. Whats important is it had to be I believe no more then 24 inches from the receiver on handle bars. and thats on my wireless. Also if like me your instructions don't give you a number to set the computer then you sit the wheel down with the stem down and roll it one full turn and take the inches and convert them to mm and enter that in your computer. Also the magnet needs to be around a 1/4 inch away from fork reciever mount or spin the wheel and move it closer till it starts receiving. The rolling wheel on the ground is the most accurate you can get although if your tire size is in the instuctions then using that is cool also.

·
Registered
301 Posts
eddieselement said:
roll it one full turn and take the inches and convert them to mm
Or if you live in a first world country which has entered the 21st century, simply use your metric tape measure to measure in mm in the first place :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts