Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to what everyone does to clean their bikes. What kind of soap, lube etc... I know you have to lube things up...but too much lube is going to attract dirt, making shifting bad...if your chain gets gummed up. So...tell me. I use Car soap and a soft...long bristle brush. After my bike dries, I caress it with an armor-all wipe and lube my chain with WD-40.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
kawboy8 said:
I am curious as to what everyone does to clean their bikes. What kind of soap, lube etc... I know you have to lube things up...but too much lube is going to attract dirt, making shifting bad...if your chain gets gummed up. So...tell me. I use Car soap and a soft...long bristle brush. After my bike dries, I caress it with an armor-all wipe and lube my chain with WD-40.
Don't lube your chain with WD 40? That's stuff is for lubing joint not chain. You use white lighting lube, a wax -petroleum lube. It is great, easy to clean after ride. I can use either dish washing detergent or simple green, a biodegrable, detergent for bike. Simple green is cheap. To lube cables, use trilube. It is best out there.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I use muckoff, sponge and brushes if I have a couple of hours spare. I degrease the chain, cassette and chain rings too.

If its really muddy after a ride I use a local car pressure washer (avoiding direct spray at the bearings). I have to wheel my bike through the house, so it can't be caked.

I might switch to a dry chain lube soon, the one I use is good but its sticky and attracts dirt.

I never manage to clean my bike as well as my mate does his, his cassette gleams in the sun lol.

Stu

·
Registered
101 Posts
A hose with light pressure to get mud off, Simpe Green to clean chain and cogs, etc. Gotta dry everything with detail to make sure no rust. Pedros lube to clean moving parts, and they have a variety of lubes for chain, depending on riding conditions.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Ummm.......well, I hardly ever clean off my bike. Dirt gets caked on and so I brush it off with a hand broom. Try to avoid riding in mud, but when there's mud, I let it dry then brush it off.

When I can find a hose, I spray her off, trying not to go too crazy with a powerful stream. Then dry immediately. Sometimes around here, without a hose, I use that pink bike wash stuff, forget what it's called.

My poor baby is scratched and scarred, but hell, she's a mountain bike. Not much I can do to prevent it.

·
1,476 Posts
kawboy8 said:
WD-40 -- Guaranteed to attract dirt! Guaranteed!!! Buy it now!!

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
armor-all is awful stuff...remember the TV ads encouraging you to use it in your car, wiping down the seats, dashboard, and tires? Well studies have shown that it actually corrodes rubber...

Car soap I've heard is pretty identical to "bike wash" type soaps you buy at the bike store and should be fine. I understand a lot of people also just use liquid dish soap, as it's a mild degreaser that helps clean the bike.

I'm not fond at all of white lightening...it really gums up. I used it for a whole summer, thinking it was the shiznit, until somebody showed me the light...If you like wax based lubes (ie you ride in dry conditions) try Boeshield T-9. For wet condition lubes, Pro Link/Pro Gold is good. (These opinions are common and are often voiced in other forums...the drivetrain forum maybe?) With wax based lubes, remember to put them on a couple of hours before you ride so that they can dry: apply liberally, wait until dry, wipe off excess, and ride! With wet lubes, also don't forget to wipe off excess before you ride. Remember, most of the lubrication needs to happen inside the little rollers on your chain, and anything on the outside of the chain isn't doing much except for attracting dirt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Christine said:
Ummm.......well, I hardly ever clean off my bike. Dirt gets caked on and so I brush it off with a hand broom. Try to avoid riding in mud, but when there's mud, I let it dry then brush it off.
QUOTE]

Bingo...I keep water away when possible, but will hose it down lighly while its still wet after a muddy ride (since the moisture is already present). Luckily I have access to a parts cleaning bin, so when I do get muddy i strip my bike, and clean each part with degreaser,

and relube, slippery spray for derailleurs and housing, Pro Link for the chain (dry enough so crap doesnt stick, wet enough to do its job) Dumonde Tech for road. White lightning sucks donkey balls imho, but hey someone has to buy the crap.

AND WD-40 IS NOT A LUBE OF ANY SORT, it is a Water Displacer, only reason I could see it on a bike would be if you get it wet and dont have a chance to dry it off right away, and then I would degrease and relube.

However if you are gonna be racing in MI disregard all of what I said, use a power washer and lube with wd-40 :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
rapwithtom said:
armor-all is awful stuff...remember the TV ads encouraging you to use it in your car, wiping down the seats, dashboard, and tires? Well studies have shown that it actually corrodes rubber...Also I'm not fond at all of white lightening...it really gums up. I used it for a whole summer until somebody showed my the light...If you like wax based lubes (ie you ride in dry conditions) try Boeshield T-9. For wet condition lubes, Pro Link/Pro Gold is good. (These opinions are common and are often voiced in other forums...the drivetrain forum maybe?)
I forgot about boesheild, Ive used that before its not all that bad either. Any way you go, its a good Idea to at least clean your chain after a few lubes

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
also another tip I learned from another forum is to use Pledge All Surface Wipes to wipe down your bike...it does a good job cleaning and seems to repel dirt somewhat. I've been doing this for a couple of months now and it seems to work pretty well!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've always used Dawn dishwashing soap....

That's what I've been told is the best for removing the grease. I use a Park chain cleaner with Dawn in it to clean off the chain. You know one of those cleaners that you snap on over the chain with those rotating brushes as yoy run the chain through it as you crank the pedal with you hand? I hose off the bike gently and use a gentle scrub brush to get any dirt off. After drying the bike, good to do it in the sun too, I use Pedro's chain lube. It doesn't have to be Pedro's but use a waxy type lube. The chain shoul be dry first. Also, FYI. WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a penetrating oil used to free up rusted parts. it will dry out. So don't use it for any kind of lubrication. It's the same thing as Liquid Wrench. I use autmotive wax on the frame.

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
About once a week or two, or more freq if wet conditions prevail, light diluted simple green solution spray on and then brush-off while flowing (not spraying) water over the bike.

Usually give a good spraying to the cassette and chain beforehand to let it soak a bit more.

Sometimes use cassette brush (stiffer bristles) on same and chain if a bit dirtier, or run a pedros chain machine over the chain to get between the rollers and plates ... usually just with water or diluted simple green within. Twice with the chain machine usually gets everything off.

Bump the bike of all extra water, then spin around the cul-de-saq a bit to work the drivetrain and dry out the brakes.

I spray off the disk rotors with isopropyl alcohol and wipe with clean dry cloth or paper towels (keeping the discs clean helps prevent Evil Squeal).

Lastly, apply some Boeshield ... about 1/2 drop per roller ... not enough that any drips off ... this displaces the moisture in the roller and gets the lube in early, once lubed I usually spin the chain a bit, maybe work thru the gears, just to work the lube in. If conditions are wet / likely to be wet I'll do another pass with the Boeshield ... again very sparingly but not enough to drip off.

Whole deal takes 20-40 minutes, depending how dirty the bike really was to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.