Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I'm looking to spend $2,000. Nothing more than $2,200.
2) I am looking at the Specialized FSRxc Pro and the Trek Fuel Ex7. Im also looking at the Transition Covert but I think its out of my price range.
3) I plan on doing XC but I like getting some air and taking some drops. Id like to do the 20 foot drop at Santos without having to worry about destroying my bike. I wont be doing that alot just once in awhile.
4) Im 21 years old 6'1" 175. I did the fit calculator on competitive cycles and these are the results I got.
XC All Mountain Fit
Standover Height Range 30.9 - 31.5 inches 30.9 - 31.5 inches
Virtual Top Tube Length 24.8 - 25.2 inches 24.3 - 24.7 inches
Stem Length 10.2 - 11.8 cm 7.7 - 10.1 cm
BB-Saddle Position 74.6 - 76.1cm 70.1 - 76.1 cm
Saddle-Handlebar 56.8 - 58.4 cm 54.9 - 56.7 cm
5) I would like to buy locally so I can get free tune ups and such buy used isnt out of the question either.
6) Based on my measurements from the calculator those 3 bikes would fit me extremely well but other bikes are not out of the question. I looked at Gary Fisher and Giant and their geometries seemed not good for me. If anyone has any suggestions on other bikes I'm listening.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Wow.....those bikes you listed while very reliable would'nt stand up to the first 20ft drop.
You really need to decide what type of riding your going to do before buying.

There is no happy medium for 20ft drops and XC riding but there are some great bikes that are designed to do one or the other.

Ha....are you just playing with us?:D

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
schmitty8225 said:
1) I'm looking to spend $2,000. Nothing more than $2,200.
2) I am looking at the Specialized FSRxc Pro and the Trek Fuel Ex7. Im also looking at the Transition Covert but I think its out of my price range.
3) I plan on doing XC but I like getting some air and taking some drops. Id like to do the 20 foot drop at Santos without having to worry about destroying my bike. I wont be doing that alot just once in awhile.
4) Im 21 years old 6'1" 175. I did the fit calculator on competitive cycles and these are the results I got.
XC All Mountain Fit
Standover Height Range 30.9 - 31.5 inches 30.9 - 31.5 inches
Virtual Top Tube Length 24.8 - 25.2 inches 24.3 - 24.7 inches
Stem Length 10.2 - 11.8 cm 7.7 - 10.1 cm
BB-Saddle Position 74.6 - 76.1cm 70.1 - 76.1 cm
Saddle-Handlebar 56.8 - 58.4 cm 54.9 - 56.7 cm
5) I would like to buy locally so I can get free tune ups and such buy used isnt out of the question either.
6) Based on my measurements from the calculator those 3 bikes would fit me extremely well but other bikes are not out of the question. I looked at Gary Fisher and Giant and their geometries seemed not good for me. If anyone has any suggestions on other bikes I'm listening.
Glad to see the recession/depression hasn't affect some people's spending. :D

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
schmitty8225 said:
All right so XC it is. Its just one little area wth the drop. There is still plenty of miles of trails for me to do.
You can get an all mountain or burlier trail bike and enjoy some more reasonable drops on a regular basis and still have something that's fun to ride XC on (though it might not be quick enough to race pro on). You'll have to compromise your drop height and some climbing ability/XC speed but you can get a bike that doesn't force you to stick entirely to one discipline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.