Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what others think as I'm going to be making this decision soon.

If you had to pick a bike for XC and endurance (up to 100 mile) racing, which one would you choose? Same exact components/wheels.

A) Ti 29er hardtail
B) Trek Superfly 100

There is no C. Those are the only two choices!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to eliminate those because then you get into so many scenarios. Figured "pick any random race in the country" as the terrain as it will be raced all over the place.

As far as other bikes, this would be the 2nd bike that would be along side a longer travel 29er (120-140mm convertible)

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
If you think you'll be in contention for a podium, then a hardtail is probably a good choice as your overall fitness will help ease your suffering ffom time in the saddle. For me its more about besting previous times, beating the guys I ride with, maintaining a solid pace and finishing strong. With those goals in mind I'd go FS. Modern FS bikes are so good that it's tough to beat them.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you already have a 120-140mm full suspension, I'd go hardtail. Otherwise your bikes will have too much overlap.

If it was your only bike, Superfly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It really depends on the terrain. I have a 2012 Superfly and a superfly 100, at the SM100 last year I used the hard tail for all of the climbing, but used the SF100 at the wilderness 101 for the technical rocky sections...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts