Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally picked up my factory aero rack for my VW, and am now looking for a carrier to mount to it so I can haul the Flux around. I picked up a Thule velo vise (fork mount) with the aero adapter kit, and darn it if the rear tire (2.35) won't sit inside the tray (the tray is too short as well, and seems flimsy). So I'm looking for a carrier that has a wider tray and will take a bigger bike. Any suggestions? Fork or clamp mount, no preference.

I'm going to go to REI today with wheel and see what they have. Wheelbase on the Flux is around 45".

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
just get some 1.9s and you'll be good to go with the rack you have! :D

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
S-Works said:
I get 2.35 Nobby Nics, Big Betty's and Maxxis Advantage 2.35's in my V2, it's tight but works fine.
nice mistake :rolleyes: ...love that seatpost holder :thumbsup: ...i have one too...:D

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice rack!

dHarriet said:
just get some 1.9s and you'll be good to go with the rack you have! :D
Ha! :D 1.9's are for weightweenies :eek:

Hmm, maybe I need to switch tires (NOT)--the WTB weirwolf does not fit--it sits atop the edge of the trays--I'd like the tire to sit somewhat inside the tray. But still, the tray is too short--rear tire sits on top of the plastic clip thingie, I can remove that I guess. I'll look at the highroller, but at this point it looks like the V2 won't work for me. Prob need a mount that clamps to the bike, leaving front tire on.

Hey CC, don't you have the Thule widemouth?

S--Works, nice rack :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
nope. i do yakima. thule makes good stuff but the dealer support isnt what id like it to be. maybe thats changed in the past 2 years since i delt with them last.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cactuscorn said:
nope. i do yakima. thule makes good stuff but the dealer support isnt what id like it to be. maybe thats changed in the past 2 years since i delt with them last.
Gotcha. Oddly, I like Yakima's bike mounts better, but it seems Thule does the Aero stuff better--at least that's what our local rack dealer (rack-n-road) sez. Maybe I can combine a Yakima with Thule mounting hardware . . .

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Random Drivel said:
shouldn't that be TWO :p :p :p
sometimes i really wonder about you guys! :eek:ut: two make up one seatpost holder! geez...you think it would be possible to hold that thing up with one? :rolleyes:

·
12,942 Posts
ive never seen a fit or durability issue with the yakima products on aero bars. but thats besides the point cuz youll use lowriders that connect the load bars to the side rails, not the factory areo cross bars. or did i misunderstand?

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cactuscorn said:
ive never seen a fit or durability issue with the yakima products on aero bars. but thats besides the point cuz youll use lowriders that connect the load bars to the side rails, not the factory areo cross bars. or did i misunderstand?
I see what you are saying--you have it correct. Anyway, I found what I was looking for, sort of--the Thule sidearm rack will fit a wider tire and I can use it with the factory aero bars, after a slight mod.
dHarriet said:
sometimes i really wonder about you guys! :eek:ut: two make up one seatpost holder! geez...you think it would be possible to hold that thing up with one? :rolleyes:
depends on your orientation with respect to the Earth . . .:p

·
12,942 Posts
ya may wanna check into the weight limits on those aero bars. if i have it right theyre rated for a pretty small load and will be be rather flexy no matter. might not be the best bet for a upright bike or 3 in the wind at 65 +. hell, my 3 bikes on a proper load bar move in the crosswinds at speed. id kinda hate to see what happens on a moded plastic clip mount on a comparitively flimsy bar. just a thought.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I like Thule - see pics

I have a Super G which I use mainly for a mtn bike and a big mouth which is good for road and mtn. The Super G will easily hold 2.5s with a lot of room to spare. PS sorry no pics of knockers just the roof rack & bike......

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try THULE Outride 561

Random Drivel said:
So I finally picked up my factory aero rack for my VW, and am now looking for a carrier to mount to it so I can haul the Flux around. I picked up a Thule velo vise (fork mount) with the aero adapter kit, and darn it if the rear tire (2.35) won't sit inside the tray (the tray is too short as well, and seems flimsy). So I'm looking for a carrier that has a wider tray and will take a bigger bike. Any suggestions? Fork or clamp mount, no preference.

I'm going to go to REI today with wheel and see what they have. Wheelbase on the Flux is around 45".
Hi! This might help. im using the THULE Outride 561 and it can accomodate a bigger tire.
I also had a problem with the old VELO Vise.

Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.