Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Looking for a little local advice. Me and my wife are looking to set up a base camp for a long weekend in the Twin Lakes or Buena Vista area. Looking at the gazetteer I note numerous Forest Service campgrounds in the area and wondered if anyone had favorites. We are tent camping and will avoid RV parking lots like the plague. Free camping in the forest near a creek would be ideal if anyone has any suggestions too. Gracias in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
TONS of camping in that area:
Just before you get to the Twin Lakes (Hwy 82) turn off is a place called "Stone Cabin" that's pretty nice - its on the Arkansas River - and it's free. Good fishing on the Ark...

Also, If you want to camp near a place that will let you ride right out the tent - there's a bunch of camping south of BV/Nathrop near Raspberry Gulch where the Colorado Trail crosses a dirt road (#273). I've driven in there w/ a Subaru Outback and camped just below the Colorado Trail (midweek) near Raspberry Gulch. Here's a link to a ride and there is free camping off road #273 and on all the roads around there...

There is no water there, so bring lots... as you're driving you'll see a big meadow of very large Aspens... I usually camp near there on the right at an established site. The trail has some pretty technical sections - particularly to the south near Browns Gulch... but there's some singletrack that's just fun before it. PM me if you need more info.

Have a BLAST!!!!

If you're down there this weekend swing by Salida in the evening for ArtWalk... I'm going to be playing music with some friends out on the street... if you see a stand-up bass player with a visor that'll be me and feel free to introduce yourself!

Enjoy,
S

·
Registered
531 Posts
site # 13 from railroad bridge campground.

go to reserveamerica.com and look for arkansas headwater, then railroad bridge, then site #13 (short walk in campsites) and this one is right on the water.

5 minutes from BV. be sure to ride in Salida.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
Site #12 and #11 at Railroad Bridge are really nice as well. :thumbsup:

Also - there is quite a bit of "dispersed camping" up above Cottonwood Lake west of Buena Vista. And the FS campsites up above Mt. Princeton Hot Springs are really nice as well.

The FS campground up there by the lake looked really nice as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.