Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 specialized stump jumper elite. 26” It has the brain in the back. I ride once a week in the woods and sometimes bring my 2 kids on a stroll with their burley bee carrier. I love the hardtail feel and keep the brain in the Firmest setting. I ride SPDs clips and my bunny hopping skills are lack luster. I describe myself as a ground pounder. I live in central eastern Connecticut and I’m .8 miles from my favorite trail system. I seek the skinnies and ledge to climb
And travse. I avoid drops like the plague.

What is my next bike? Another trail bike? Or fatbike?

I took about 5 years off from riding. And I was unhappy stressed and pissed off one weekend in March. My wife told me go to home depot. Buy something. Leave the house and come back with a better attitude. I got in the Jeep got 5 minutes down the road and said this won’t fix it. I hopped on the bike. It was 23* no snow and I rode the hell out of it that day. I’ve never looked back and now use biking to stabilize my happiness. The issue I’ve run into recently this summer is I break something on the bike forcing me to pour more money into it and then I’m pissed off that I can’t ride. I went to Laconia NH for a family vacation and I wanted to ride highland again but I had to get my fork serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
well mannered lout
3,333 Posts
I have a 2011 specialized stump jumper elite. 26" It has the brain in the back. I ride once a week in the woods and sometimes bring my 2 kids on a stroll with their burley bee carrier. I love the hardtail feel and keep the brain in the Firmest setting. I ride SPDs clips and my bunny hopping skills are lack luster. I describe myself as a ground pounder. I live in central eastern Connecticut and I'm .8 miles from my favorite trail system. I seek the skinnies and ledge to climb
And travse. I avoid drops like the plague.

What is my next bike? Another trail bike? Or fatbike?

I took about 5 years off from riding. And I was unhappy stressed and pissed off one weekend in March. My wife told me go to home depot. Buy something. Leave the house and come back with a better attitude. I got in the Jeep got 5 minutes down the road and said this won't fix it. I hopped on the bike. It was 23* no snow and I rode the hell out of it that day. I've never looked back and now use biking to stabilize my happiness. The issue I've run into recently this summer is I break something on the bike forcing me to pour more money into it and then I'm pissed off that I can't ride. I went to Laconia NH for a family vacation and I wanted to ride highland again but I had to get my fork serviced.
Fat bike or 29+ bike might be perfect. You'll get the hardtail feel with a good degree of forgiveness. Having enough traction to pump flat turns is a hoot. It'll be easy to maintain, and you'll have just as much fun with it, even if you never leave the ground.

Tires get expensive if you're ripping them up on CT Greystone, so get something burly to start with.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
A big tire rigid gives you a nice firm pedaling platform with cush, stability and grip. Also with growing kids, it is nice to have the option of running super low psi. That way when you are out on family rides, you can spin the cranks and the kids can keep up.

Lots of basic terrain is a blast and a challenge on a rigid, and it can really be versatile if you have different wheelsets and tires available. Also it would be the top choice for durability, longevity and lack of expensive maintenance.

Carboncycles.cc sells some pretty nice rigid carbon forks, that are rebranded elsewhere as nukeproof. If you want to go down that route, that is a good place to check out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.