Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting back into biking after a 'couple year' hiatus.. Got married, changed jobs, moved around, remodeled houses, started a business....

So. I have a Trek 8900 SL frame I'm building up. I want a light weight XC hardtail. Got a great deal on a new X.9 rear derailleur and front and rear X.7 trigger shifters - 50 for the lot. I have Bontrager Race Lite rims that will accept an 8 or 9 speed cog. If I go with the X.9 and X.7 setup, I'll need to purchase a 9 speed cog and chain. If I do a buildup with spare parts I already have (XT 8-speed cog and chain) I'll need to purchase different shifters, right?

I realize the market is centered on 9 speed and 8 speed parts are/will be hard to find in the future, but I have 3 other bikes that are 8 speed and like the idea of part interchangeability.

Just wanting some opinions on going with an 8 vs 9 speed buildup. If you were starting from scratch with my setup, what would you do?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would go 9 since it is the industry standard at this point. 8 spd is less finicky, but its getting more difficult to get good 8 spd components. The only thing you can't really trade back and forth is the cassette, shifters and chain. And I think you can run 9spd chains on 8spd stuff, so that really isn't that big a deal either.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
As much as I'm a fan of the 8 speed parts, (I've stashed away extra shifters and extra cassettes to make sure I can keep running it). I'd say go with 9 speed too.

Those 8 speed parts you do have can serve as spares for the other bike, and it sounds like you don't need a bunch to go and run a 9 speed setup.

JmZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts