Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
501 - 520 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This is very enlightening
Mostly about the company who owns the trademark
And not about the actual quality of the product

not what I would have expected as most posters here likely know how and where bicycles are produced
and know that a sheet of decal transfers is going for under $1 at OEM

·
Registered
628 Posts
Any bike brands owned by Dorel/Pacific the huge corporate whale of the bike industry. Having said that Connondale is making sweet bikes of late and Peter Sagan kicks @$$! Used to have a GT, great bike but customer service was horrible.

Also no lemming bikes like Specialized and Trek. I wouldn’t really lump Santa Cruz with those two. Then again I ride one. I am not too crazy about the fact that they make so many different products like skate boards surfing stuff. Same for Scott but I ride a Scott road bike and its pretty damn good.

What really irks me are no name brands like Diamondback having the gaul to charge $6k for a 26” aluminum bike with mediocre spec. Why would any one in their right mind buy one?

At the end of the day it comes down to how a bike feels to you and are you getting a good deal? I loathe Specialized but when recently purchasing a new bike I was looking at a Specialized. Brand image and my dislike of the brand was not going to stop me from trying it and buying the bike I felt fit me best. I really wanted a Rocky Mountain Altitude, yet as soon as I took a quick spin on it I knew it was not the bike for me, regardless of how much I wanted it or liked the brand. Same for Ibis who royally screwed the pooch with the HDR (in my humble opinion), I had my heart set on HD 160mm 650b. Alas at the end of the day the bike was not the bike I wanted.

I am pretty anti-LBS (Local Bull Sh!t artists) and LBS only - no end user support policies piss me off too. However, good luck finding a drive train or suspension company who will deal directly with the end user. I have run into the same take it to the LBS BS with all three Campy, Sram and Shimano. Credit where credit is due Campy and Shimano picked up the phone, Shimano after much b!tc#ing moaning offered to deal with me directly. Sram treated me real good but through an LBS.
Life is much sweeter than you project. I support LBS that rock and many many do. Bike companies are like boat builders. Ownership changes and quality is a roller coaster.

·
squish, squish in da fish
1,752 Posts
never is a strong word, but...
Brands with a full-time legal department, i.e, the one that's constantly suing everyone and just had the patent expire that was the only thing making them unique (this is as close to "never buy" as I get right now; I can't stant the fact that they sued a 1-man working out of his garage operation.
i was going to say this, but i didn't want to start that discussion again. glad to see there's another soul that cares about ethics. MS is a POS

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,596 Posts
i was going to say this, but i didn't want to start that discussion again. glad to see there's another soul that cares about ethics. MS is a POS
I have to wonder if this is really the issue. I'd bet that most companies, even the "bigger" ones, probably contract with a legal service, paying a monthly fee for representation. If so, the disconnect between the company representing and the company represented is probably more to blame than legal departments, in other words, if the legal department is actually part of the company, they are probably less knee-jerk and better in line with the company's ethics. Knolly recently hired a patent lawyer to go after Intense for building bikes with seat tubes in front of the BB (something that has been a common practice long before Knolly came along). I think if there was a competent lawyer working for these companies they'd probably advise them on what are bad ideas to try and pursue.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have to wonder if this is really the issue. I'd bet that most companies, even the "bigger" ones, probably contract with a legal service, paying a monthly fee for representation. If so, the disconnect between the company representing and the company represented is probably more to blame than legal departments, in other words, if the legal department is actually part of the company, they are probably less knee-jerk and better in line with the company's ethics. Knolly recently hired a patent lawyer to go after Intense for building bikes with seat tubes in front of the BB (something that has been a common practice long before Knolly came along). I think if there was a competent lawyer working for these companies they'd probably advise them on what are bad ideas to try and pursue.
There is no way around it — excessive expenses are paid by the end user.
Excessive legal action, excessive travel, excessive offices, excessive staff, etc, etc
in the long run it’s all paid by the cyclist that buys from a company that wastes money. And in the last 40 years the bicycle industry has gone wild with expenses; while at the same time sourcing has become standardized .
So since we all use the same suppliers of frames, forks, tires, drive trains, brakes, etc — expenses spent along the way in the distribution channel are the major factor determining value that the buyer gets for their money.

there is no way around it, all expenses are paid by the consumer, including the excessive ones

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Easier for me to create a shortlist of bikes I WOULD currently consider buying.

First Preference:
Evil
Yeti
Pivot
Ibis

Second Prefernce:
Spot
Trek
Specialized
Santa Cruz

·
Registered
496 Posts
Huffy
Schwinn
Magna
Next

Unless we're talking Bike companies, not "bike" companies, in which case any company that only makes carbon fiber bikes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As of today, I wouldn't buy specialized!

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
As of today, I wouldn't buy specialized!
That is one of the weaker reasons to not buy specialized - they stopped dealing with a shop that is owned by the same parent company of a competitor.

Some of their other shady dealings are way more if a good reason....

·
Registered
180 Posts
That is one of the weaker reasons to not buy specialized - they stopped dealing with a shop that is owned by the same parent company of a competitor.

Some of their other shady dealings are way more if a good reason....
They cancelled orders of hundreds of customers, some of whom have been waiting the better part of a year for bikes during a Covid supply shortage. Now those customers will have to get in the back of the line for another bike, hopefully one from a company that treats its customers with more respect.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
They cancelled orders of hundreds of customers, some of whom have been waiting the better part of a year for bikes during a Covid supply shortage. Now those customers will have to get in the back of the line for another bike, hopefully one from a company that treats its customers with more respect.
True, but they didn't keep the money.

Speaking of that , sick is a company I would never deal with also if they ever somehow came back again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
True, but they didn't keep the money.

Speaking of that , sick is a company I would never deal with also if they ever somehow came back again.
If I were a waiting customer I would be PISSED! Getting my money back wouldn't be good enough after all that waiting. Not not mention all the hassle of reaching out to each customer to explain that their order cannot be filled and why.

Why not honor existing orders and only deny new orders? What harm could come of that approach? It was a petty move from a petty company that is likely to hurt Mikes bikes no matter how well they handle their end and that was probably the intention.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts

Why not honor existing orders and only deny new orders? What harm could come of that approach? It was a petty move from a petty company that is likely to hurt Mikes bikes no matter how well they handle their end and that was probably the intention.
But didn't they abandon ship because Mike's bikes was no longer Mike's bikes? They had a contract setup with Mike's bikes. It was now something else that did not meet their criteria.

And no, I am not a specialized fanboi - have not had a product of theirs since maybe 2001 (other than a few of their tires). But business is business. They have their principles that they strictly follow.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
007, I think this conversation has expired. ;)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I'm over some bad experiences that mostly reflected marginal employees and companies, and don't want to say would never buy as much as express having fewer issues sticking with less exotic and more boring stuff.

If there's any rule about what I won't buy these days it's an item that could not be replaced or repaired with ease.

501 - 520 of 553 Posts