Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
481 - 500 of 553 Posts

·
Flappity flappity flap
2,590 Posts
I get the feeling what he's getting at is that companies like this keep the people who want flashy overhyped overpriced crap from ruining the good brands. How the hooker analogy is supposed to fit in with that concept, I could not tell you... I mean, I can conceive of pretty much any massive brand as a hooker--one that is not likely to have anything I am interested in... :yawn:

·
Thread Killa
358 Posts
DAMN, I just realized I own 2 Specialized bikes! Both Rockhoppers from the 90's but still! Maybe a new paint job to ditch the decals is in order...

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
Bike Brand you Would Never Buy...

Wow if you took every brand of bikes named in this thread, we'd be left with one choice to purchase.

Attachments

Reactions: sgltrak

·
Registered
105 Posts
DAMN, I just realized I own 2 Specialized bikes! Both Rockhoppers from the 90's but still! Maybe a new paint job to ditch the decals is in order...
+1

I have a 92 Rockhopper that I rode until two months ago, and my wife had a 95 Rockhopper. They are still in the basement, and had some upgrades and refurbishments done in the last year. I'm not even sure what to do with them. I doubt they are worth much on the used market.

I will be parting out two sets of WTB Velociraptors I put on them for one ride before buying new bikes.

·
Trail Ninja
6,173 Posts
I don't get the analogy.

Hookers can reduce violence against women,
and Specialized can reduce _______ against ____________??

:confused:
Provide an outlet for gossipers and those with long standing grudges to vent.

Those people would still need an outlet, and without Spec/hookers their venting would just be directed at some other target, perhaps a more "innocent" and undeserving target that is more sensitive to such treatment.

·
Registered
322 Posts
DAMN, she looks just as good as my specialized....jk ! I don't care about anything other than a well made bike with a decent $ tag. I don't want my pedal pusher to cost more than my motorcycle. It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
On wuss patrol
5,157 Posts
Provide an outlet for gossipers and those with long standing grudges to vent.

Those people would still need an outlet, and without Spec/hookers their venting would just be directed at some other target, perhaps a more "innocent" and undeserving target that is more sensitive to such treatment.
Nah, still doesn't work. Maybe you're trying too hard.

Reactions: Camaleon

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
It's a Canadian shop so the US judicial system has no jurisdiction.............
US judicial system, no. US copyright laws, yes. Part of the NAFTA covers that.
It appears the the point is moot because Special Ed didn't have the right to the name anyway.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Interesting quote, to bad he forgot.

"The Japanese way starts with honor and integrity" -- Mike Sinyard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Santa Cruz.

Because I'm not in the US.

Made the mistake of buying a carbon Blur last year, a year later the thing broke. No stock of spare parts (contrary to warranty statement), and they don't do things through the dealers. So I have to courier the broken frame to the US and pay to courier the new frame back - plus disassembly/assembly and various new parts to get the thing going again. With all the inconvenience and $$ I'm spending, I may as well buy a new bike. And Santa Cruz customer service is doing nothing to make the process any easier. Many years ago, I broke a 5 year old Jamis. Lugged it into the shop, rode away on a new one. It was all sorted through the dealer - and all they said was "we're real sorry it broke". THAT'S customer service.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had 24 bicycles in my life and 5 of them where Santa Cruz, two of them my current bikes( stigmata and Bronson). I don't see myself buying anything else in the near future. Best bicycles I've used so far. I've never had to claim warranty but the Spanish distributors do a very good job (LTMRacing).
I had good luck with Giant too. Cannondale crap, Kona crap, custom ti frames crap, gt crap, trek worst crap ever, kinesis surprisingly good! Focus alright... I had a EDR (now Rotor) frame in the early 2000's and it was very well built, but the Turner suspension system wasn't very good...
For me there's only one material: carbon and only one commercial brand: Santa Cruz.
I've read Marin, DMB and Kona are back in business doing good things again but I don't know... after previous experiences I'm not keen to try again, to be honest...
Kona's new top of the range gravel frame looks awesome, though but no BSA BB, bummer...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
well since this thread has be resurrected I'll chime in, trek, yeti, and specialized as I've had bad luck with them in the past or my son has.

481 - 500 of 553 Posts