Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
461 - 480 of 553 Posts

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
That's why I don't have any colors on my bikes. In fact I don't have any bikes. I don't even ride. I'm here for the free beer

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
That's why I don't have any colors on my bikes. In fact I don't have any bikes. I don't even ride. I'm here for the free beer

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Wrong site!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with many bike brands other than two of the biggees; however, I won't buy I bike with avid juicy or elixer brakes again unless the deal includes a brake brand change!

·
Registered
313 Posts
And ASI just got a whole heap of good karma and probably upcoming social media press.
How is that, exactly? They haven't said, as the media portrays, that the bike shop can use the name -- they've said the bike shop can license their totally bogus claim to a famous name they never shoulda been allowed to TM in the first place. I, for one, hope the negative karma bites them in the ass as hard as it did Specialized.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
How is that, exactly? They haven't said, as the media portrays, that the bike shop can use the name -- they've said the bike shop can license their totally bogus claim to a famous name they never shoulda been allowed to TM in the first place. I, for one, hope the negative karma bites them in the ass as hard as it did Specialized.
License seems to mean a written agreement. Don't think they will extort him for money, or make change the shop name.

Just shows that whatever trademarks laws are, one can enforce their rights without being an ass.

·
Registered
313 Posts
License seems to mean a written agreement. Don't think they will extort him for money, or make change the shop name.
In my experience, license = fee. What claim does anyone rightly have over the name "Roubaix"? Anyway, I'll withhold judgment until this shakes out.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
In my experience, license = fee.
GPL. Creative Commons. Or any other open source license is a license. No fee. Just an example. My guess is that they just want that shop to acknowledge its use - in case that shop wants to sell bicycles under the exact same name. Which I think all can agree is not a fair thing to do.

What claim does anyone rightly have over the name "Roubaix"? Anyway, I'll withhold judgment until this shakes out.
There are plenty of common words used as trademarks in a particular context. Its a law. Like any law it can be abused. Or not.

·
Registered
313 Posts
GPL. Creative Commons. Or any other open source license is a license. No fee. Just an example. My guess is that they just want that shop to acknowledge its use - in case that shop wants to sell bicycles under the exact same name. Which I think all can agree is not a fair thing to do.
Can't wait to see at least one example of a major brand in any market using copyleft. Just as I can't imagine any of this guy's customers mistaking him for Specialized, or Fuji, or whatevs.

There are plenty of common words used as trademarks in a particular context. Its a law. Like any law it can be abused. Or not.
Oh, don't I know! But the law's pretty explict about not trademarking well-known names, particularly place names. Imagine if one could TM "Gettysburgh" and then sue all the Civil War recreationists, game developers (Sid Meier), encyclopedias, textbooks, national monuments, everyone doing business in modern Gettysburgh right down to an ice-cream shop that dares not to be a 31-flavors franchise, and so on and so forth. IMO, we have a clear case of abuse, here -- or at least a clear dividing line for those who think TM'ing "Roubaix" is kosher, so to speak.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Can't wait to see at least one example of a major brand in any market using copyleft.
Pretty much every major company in existence uses open source software in some form. And yes, they agree to a license when they do.

Whatever browser you use to post this - you most likely have agreed to a license to use it. Had you been charged a fee? No? PM me for an address to send your payment.

Oh, don't I know! But the law's pretty explict about not trademarking well-known names, particularly place names. Imagine if one could TM "Gettysburgh" and then sue all the Civil War recreationists
Law is pretty explicit about trademark being used in a particular context. For example as a name for a bicycle. You can not trademark a word by itself.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
But the law's pretty explict about not trademarking well-known names, particularly place names. Imagine if one could TM "Gettysburgh" and then sue all the Civil War recreationists, game developers (Sid Meier), encyclopedias, textbooks, national monuments, everyone doing business in modern Gettysburgh right down to an ice-cream shop that dares not to be a 31-flavors franchise, and so on and so forth.
Dude you just don't understand trademarking.
Santa Cruz is a place.
"Santa Cruz Bicycles" is a trademarked name. It doesn't stop anyone from using "Santa Cruz" in a million different ways.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Dude you just don't understand trademarking.
Santa Cruz is a place.
"Santa Cruz Bicycles" is a trademarked name. It doesn't stop anyone from using "Santa Cruz" in a million different ways.
According to the owner of Santa Cruz, he's been allowed to keep the name because his company predates the passing of that trademark law.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Specialized. I have owned 2 of them in my lifetime and they were good bikes, I just HATE the fact that they are so lawsuit crazy and they say they do this to protect their brand. Some of the lawsuits I've seen them take to court don't even make sense to me. It is for THIS reason that I do not support them anymore. Their bikes are good, they spend a lot of money doing RnD, and for the most part customer service is pretty good. I can't support them due to their business ethics. I also used to be a fan of Mongoose, Diamondback, and GT but I don't like their designs anymore, nor do I think they are made very well. The quality of bike just isn't there anymore.

·
Trail Ninja
6,173 Posts
In the end, all this drama over a name wound up to be free publicity for Spec, the Cafe Roubaix guy, ASI/Raleigh, the sites reporting it, and all the gossiping types helped make that happen. That Cafe Roubaix guy probably will get so much more business due to this, even if he does change his name, as long as he's got a decent product.

I see Spec as something similar to a flashy hooker in this case. You might not want to deal with them for personal moral reasons, but it's hard to resist looking when they flash their boobs (analogous to press release of new bikes). If you like what you see, you might take another closer look and that's when they might hook ya, if they've got something you want for a reasonable price. You can avoid the places where they're found, but it doesn't stop people who've been hooked from sharing their experience with ya. Heck, some might see them as a necessary evil, as hookers can reduce violence against women (analogous to what Spec does for the industry).

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Heck, some might see them as a necessary evil, as hookers can reduce violence against women (analogous to what Spec does for the industry).
I don't get the analogy.

Hookers can reduce violence against women,
and Specialized can reduce _______ against ____________??

:confused:

·
Registered
105 Posts
...Heck, some might see them as a necessary evil, as hookers can reduce violence against women (analogous to what Spec does for the industry).
I can only guess that was meant to be a sick joke.

461 - 480 of 553 Posts