Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 553 Posts

·
unrooted
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a short list of bike brands I wouldn't consider buying, but I'll chime in later.

A big thing that turns me off:
Unsubstantiated bragging from marketing
Light weight over durability
Just plain ugly bikes

·
Registered
336 Posts
It used to be Cannondale. 10-15 years ago I thought they were junk. I think they're great now.

I don't think there is a brand I wouldn't consider now. I would buy the bike that felt the best when I rode it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I was going to chime in about the company I had a bad experience with. I decided that the forums are for sharing information and ideas to enhance the riding experience that we all strive to appreciate.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
Never say never. Marin just stepped-up their game recently. Before, I would never think about a heavy, clunky Marin(except the Nail Trail HT).

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
never is a strong word, but...
Brands with a full-time legal department, i.e, the one that's constantly suing everyone and just had the patent expire that was the only thing making them unique (this is as close to "never buy" as I get right now; I can't stant the fact that they sued a 1-man working out of his garage operation.

I get pretty turned off by the "LBS-only" sales policy, for a number of reasons: 1: no LBS keeps my size in stock, and 99% will not get a bike in for a test ride without a commitment to buy. 2: I know as much about fitting a bike to me as any shop employee I've ever met, and I don't need to ride a bike to know if it fits. 3: I'm not ever going to buy a complete bike anyway, and you can't test ride a frame.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
never is a strong word, but...
Brands with a full-time legal department, i.e, the one that's constantly suing everyone and just had the patent expire that was the only thing making them unique (this is as close to "never buy" as I get right now; I can't stant the fact that they sued a 1-man working out of his garage operation.

I get pretty turned off by the "LBS-only" sales policy, for a number of reasons: 1: no LBS keeps my size in stock, and 99% will not get a bike in for a test ride without a commitment to buy. 2: I know as much about fitting a bike to me as any shop employee I've ever met, and I don't need to ride a bike to know if it fits. 3: I'm not ever going to buy a complete bike anyway, and you can't test ride a frame.
Wait, so if you know how to fit a bike to yourself, and don't want to test ride a bike because you only buy frames, then why would you have a problem with your size not being in stock without ordering?

Back on topic, I'm surprised nobody has really thrown out the expected names yet. This is oddly mature

·
Registered
124 Posts
Santacruz. I know they're sweet rides but they are as common as Trek's where I ride.
Trek. Well, duh!
GT. I just never liked the way they looked.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Trek. My first nice bike was a carbon Superfly hardtail, between the Bontrager Race X Lite wheels being so unreliable and cracking the frame on 3 different occasions without crashing it (each time their warranty deemed it a "defective frame" and charged me $150 labor each time to warranty it) I can confidently say I will never buy a Trek bike again. The unfortunate part is that it's kinda scared me away from carbon mtb frames in general.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would never buy a Giant. It is not their fault though. They make nice bikes. I just rode with a guy a few times and he was a douche and it turned me off to them. Guilt by association.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't like buying bikes from REALLY popular/big brands such as Trek, Santa Cruz, Giant, or even Cannondale. Right now I'm on a rocky mountain and I'm thinking my next ride will probably be a Banshee.

1 - 20 of 553 Posts