Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that bikes are now out to 2025 and most manufacturers are tacitly admitting that 2035-2045 is more likely, I have some concerns.

Humans evolve over time. We change shape and size to match conditions and the world around us. Is it possible that a future generation of bikers will be riding bikes ordered for their descendents that will not fit due to incremental evolutionary changes?

Actually, I think that's a pretty obvious yes. Let me rephrase: Will there be sufficient differences in appendages, manipulating surfaces, additional organs or clenching interfaces that obsolesce bikes being ordered today to the point that the humans of tomorrow taking delivery will be a new species that don't fit/can't use them?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm content that the geometry of bike I ride today will likely fit the proportions of primates who evolve into our current ecological niche, but I'm concerned about the social stigma and strife that will be caused the disparity between those restricted to riding today's "hand-me-downs" and the latest-greatest Neuralink-AXS integrated future of our humanoid successors. It'll probably take a war to settle trail 'right-of-way'.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Who is saying 2025? I have found a company building xd and hg cassettes in the USA. I am betting Box will be big soon enough and if we keep having these issues money is a great motivator for people to innovate.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who is saying 2025? I have found a company building xd and hg cassettes in the USA. I am betting Box will be big soon enough and if we keep having these issues money is a great motivator for people to innovate.

They're probably using specs from the Pleistocene epoch so I can't see it helping.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
Given that bikes are now out to 2025 and most manufacturers are tacitly admitting that 2035-2045 is more likely, I have some concerns.

Humans evolve over time. We change shape and size to match conditions and the world around us. Is it possible that a future generation of bikers will be riding bikes ordered for their descendents that will not fit due to incremental evolutionary changes?

Actually, I think that's a pretty obvious yes. Let me rephrase: Will there be sufficient differences in appendages, manipulating surfaces, additional organs or clenching interfaces that obsolesce bikes being ordered today to the point that the humans of tomorrow taking delivery will be a new species that don't fit/can't use them?
I was able to buy 3 bikes during September, 1 for myself and 2 for kids, with lead time 3-5 week on average;
I would say try before buy is limmited, however bike purchase totally doable, just slightly different experience; I purchased non DC brands using DC model and paying for shipping 100$ per bike

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to buy 3 bikes during September, 1 for myself and 2 for kids, with lead time 3-5 week on average;
I would say try before buy is limmited, however bike purchase totally doable, just slightly different experience; I purchased non DC brands using DC model and paying for shipping 100$ per bike
It's because of you- not people like you but you- that we're now out to 2055 for normal riders. I understand you just wanted to ride and I hope that doesn't weigh too heavily but others will have to hope that their descendents anatomy matches bike specs for 21st century around the mid fifties.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have already started stashing money away for my great grandkids bikes that they will use once they hit about 18.
This only makes sense, and as bike prices continue to dramatically outpace inflation, we will need to petition congress to create a 529-style plan so we can save for our descendant's future bike purchases. In twenty-five years, you'll be glad you squirreled away $50,000 to just barely afford that Stumpjumper Comp.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.