Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I have a similar pump. It's several years old, it works, and that makes me happy.

Those pedals are suitable for commuting, but I wouldn't use them for mountain biking. I had toe clips for a little while before going clipless, and it's pretty sketchy - IMHO, it's better to have either good platforms (can be about that price, actually) or clipless pedals.

You don't need a computer. If you want to log something for training, use a stopwatch or your phone and track saddle time and effort level - different trails mean different speeds, so mileage off-road is fairly meaningless for anything but navigation, and for navigation it's often wrong. Which is kinda worse.

You don't need to spend extra money getting a complicated bottle cage from Amazon. Your shop should have some simple ones for about $5. Like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Welded-Aluminum-Bicycle/dp/B000SPL4A2/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

But buy it from your shop - you won't save money online. At least, unless you get a free bottle with the Amazon cage. Your shop should have bottles for around $4.

·
Derptastic
240 Posts
link to some decent pedals? brands to look at and stay away from?
I have some Sun Ringles on one bike, and some Xpedo XMX17AC on another. Both are quite solid, and the Xpedos are significantly lighter. People have complained about siezing problems on their Xpedos, though I haven't had an issue yet, so be aware of that.

Wellgo makes a lot of quality pedals as well. As do many other manufacturers, too many to keep track of. There are several threads on other parts of the forum discussing pedals.

Edit: If want flats, this is a good thread to look at. Lots of pretty pics too :D

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I wouldn't use straps on a trail. Too hard to get your foot out. The small clips like these worked well until I went clipless. Should be able to attach them to your pedals if the pedals have two holes on the sides.

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Mini-C...sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1306509096&sr=1-11

A water bottle is good for short rides/winter. I can't make it without a hydrapak in warmer weather. Plus, it has room for my pump, tube, wallet.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i think i might scratch the idea of straps, hopefully stock pedals will last for my first couple rides. its just going to see a few light campground trails till i can her upgraded a little.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
It's already a mountain bike. You don't need to upgrade it to ride on trails. While I have to admit I've changed out a lot of parts on mine, I remember the first time I took it on singletrack, fully stock, and how much better it felt than the bike I rode in college.

Don't listen to the hobbyists and collectors too much. It's a piece of sporting equipment, for engaging in the sport of mountain biking, and what you can do on it is reflective of you. If you want to ride trails, go do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's already a mountain bike. You don't need to upgrade it to ride on trails. While I have to admit I've changed out a lot of parts on mine, I remember the first time I took it on singletrack, fully stock, and how much better it felt than the bike I rode in college.

Don't listen to the hobbyists and collectors too much. It's a piece of sporting equipment, for engaging in the sport of mountain biking, and what you can do on it is reflective of you. If you want to ride trails, go do it.
oh i plan on it:D thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
planet bike 9.0 9 wireless

I just purchased the :

Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless 9-Function Bike Computer with 4-Line Display and Temperature

It looks good and was a decent price point. Has anyone used this If you think it's a piece of $h!t keep it to yourself please.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts