Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I need some cush for my 2011 Unit, and i want some big fat tires to put on. I am not very concerned with weight, but I want a lot of volume and low rolling resistance. Any ideas on how big of a tire i can fit in the front/back or how wide is too wide for the alex en-24 rims? Right now im looking at the maxxis ardent 2.4 or the wtb weirwolf 2.55

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Both of those tyres will fit the unit. I ran a 2.4 Racing Ralph front and 2.25 rear on Alex EN24 before switching to wheels with Bontrager Duster rims when the rear Formula hub went belly up. No issues with clearance whatsoever.

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention that my Unit is a 2010. Shouldn't be much different in any case.

2.25 Racing Ralph on a Bontrager Duster rim with the wheel all the way forward in the sliding dropouts.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'll be picking up my 2011 tonight (whoo!), and I'm getting a 2.4 ardent up front, and a 2.25 on the rear. But I was also wondering if the 2.4 will fit in the back, so I'll swap it around and by the weekend I should have some pics.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
newfangled said:
I'll be picking up my 2011 tonight (whoo!), and I'm getting a 2.4 ardent up front, and a 2.25 on the rear. But I was also wondering if the 2.4 will fit in the back, so I'll swap it around and by the weekend I should have some pics.
I think a 2.4 will easily fit if you aren't using the shortest chainstay setting (which I am since I'm running a 21t cog). I've got a Kenda Nevgal 2.25 on now and there is lots of clearance on my '10 Unit.

Post up when you try it and put up some pictures so we can see the clearance. I would like something wider than the 2.25" for my next tire.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Doh. Picked the bike up last night, but the 2.4 isn't going to be in for another couple of weeks. So on the weekend I'll post a pick of the clearance on the 2.25 Ardent, but the big one will have to wait.

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts
Here you go...

2.4 Ardent on Bontrager Duster rim on my 2010 Unit, with the sliders all the way forward.

Dayem, it's heavy though. Don't ask me to weigh it as I only fitted it to see the clearance. The Racing Ralph 2.25 is back on there now.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I tried my Ardent 2.25 on a P35 rim and there's plenty of space. It's not much bigger than the Ignitor on the same rim. Whenever I get the 2.4 I'll try it to see if it's any different than on Stevob's duster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the stock Ardent 2.1 on my 2012 Unit. I want to go larger on the front and for now keep the rear stock...it's new. I bought my unit as a close out. How large of a front should I go...2.25 or 2.4? My front fork is a Niner carbon. Any reason to not go with another Ardent?
Thanks,
Tim

·
That’s no moon.
814 Posts
Cool, thanks for the pics. I've just built mine and put my old 2.2 Saguaros on with some i23 rims. Of course no problems with the frame. But I'm running a front der. and the clearance between that and tire is minimal. Not sure anything larger would clear it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.