Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
crisillo said:
Hi! I just wondered what"s the biggest tire anybody has installed on an Epic? Mine is a 2003 Epic Comp.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

-Cris
I've run the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25's. It looked like I had the clearance to go a bit larger as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nokian NBX 2.3

I ran the NBX 2.3" the other weekend in the mountains. Clearance on the frame looks good at the upper and lower suspension links to go larger.

However, the knobs of the 2.3 run really close to the shock, where the shaft of the rear shock runs past the tire on the way to the upper pivot. This is going to be your limiting factor. Doubt you'll be able to get much larger than a mild 2.3 past that. 2.5s are out of the question. On the other hand, my fox fork...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Racing Ralph 2.4 and 2.25 in a 2003 Epic Comp

Well I finally tested the 2.4 RRs and it is a very close fit (see the two first pictures), the 2.25 seems to fit better... (see 3rd picture)....

So I guess it's 2.25 in the rear and 2.4 front.

- Cris

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have found that all the quoted tyre sizes vary dramatically... I tried and tested lots of tyres recently ( i go on about it alot in another thread ) ( probably too much) and i am still testing sizes and effect. I am using a Conti Vertical Pro Tection 2.3 on the front and a Conti Survival Pro Tection 2.3 on the rear and the rear is much smaller across treads and sidewall to sidewall. The front is the same size as an Enduro 2.2 across treads but smaller sidewall to sidewall by quite a bit. Its a funny old world. Might have to take a gauge with me when i size up my next set.

K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.