Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until I upgrade these rims I'd like to know the biggest size tire I can reasonably run on a 25mm internal rim width. Any wheel masters care to weigh in?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Go off etrto. My vote is 62 max, but you could say more or less depending on your preference for a square tread or distaste for tires folding over.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd say 2.4-2.5 measured knob to knob. Or tires advertised as 2.3, 2.35, and some 2.4s. Schwalbe tires were generally oversized even before the wider rim movement. The Magic Mary measures closer to 2.5 knob to knob even though it's advertised as 2.35. I wouldn't put anything like Maxxis WTs or tires with profiles specifically made for 30mm and up rims though.

I have a bike with 25mm rims and I'm running 2.3 Maxxis tires. They measure just about 2.3 knob to knob. Non-WT Maxxis tires are undersized by the way.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would not have a problem running a 2.35" I would also say 2.5" unless it is designed specifically for say a 30-35mm. If you watch World Cup DH there are still top level racers using a DT EX471 which is also 25mm inside width. In years past no one questioned running a Maxxis 2.5" DH tire on a 21mm or 23mm internal width. We also ran 2.8" tires on 29mm width.The opinion is still all over the map from MFG's. Rim depth and bead shape will also play a roll on tire width to rim width choices. I am currently running a rim with a 27mm inner width and have no problems with Schwalbe 2.35 or the new Onza Aquilla 2.4. If I change wheel dia. I may go to a 30mm width unless I decide to do two wheel sets than I will keep the 27mm and the second set will be 35mm for the 2.6" tires. You could also share what rims you have and what tires you want to run for more specific opinions.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
A semi slick Morsa is 2.4 and i25 is perfect for that. otoh, guys are driving 2.2 xc type tires on i30 rims. You can use a knobby 2.35 but it's going to be round-ish and need some lean.

G

·
My old hardtail has 2.3” tires on 17mm (internal) rims...I wouldn’t build a new bike this way but, I rode all the same trails on my old bike just fine. I was 15 years younger...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've run 2.6s on 24mm internal DT rims with zero issues whatsoever. Sure, the same tires on wider 34mm internal rims ride nicer due to the ability to retain stability at lower pressures, but it was fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2.4 goes perfectly.
you can go bigger but you will need to keep a relatively high tyre pressure to keep enough support. So basically you get all the drawbacks of a bigger tyre (weight, drag) without any of the advantages (grip, comfort) which is why people move to wider rims for wider tyres. The jury is still out though on what the “right-width” for a tyre-rim combination is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.