Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watched the season premier of Biggest Losers last night? They had the contestants on Trek mountain bikes (on trainers). Anyone manage to catch the model trek?

I have a co-worker that is having a hard time finding a bike, because he is soooo tall and heavy. I figure if those bike can handle a 400+ rider, than my co-worker should have no issues with one.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Granted, I weigh about 1/3 of your coworker, but I think that if my mountain bike can withstand me jumping and dropping off of things, it ought to be fine with him riding conservatively. Pretty much any recreational hardtail ought to be fine, but suspension forks and wheels can be more sensitive to the weight of the rider than frames. I think that the wheels coming on any entry-level Trek or Specialized ought to be fine, but I can imagine some of those entry forks being pretty noodly.

Is your co-worker planning to go off-road at all, or just cruise around on bike paths and try to get his weight down?

EDIT: My 240-pound friend tried to get into dirt-jumping (Cannondale Prophet) and didn't manage to damage her bike when she blew a landing and sprained her rib cage. XC-racing bikes sometimes make some durability compromise, but anything else ought to be fine.

·
Registered
821 Posts
jahfakin said:
Anyone watched the season premier of Biggest Losers last night? They had the contestants on Trek mountain bikes (on trainers). .....
The contestants "train/film" at King Gillete Ranch in Calabasas. That's literally just across the road from Malibu Creek State Park> which boasts an abundance of mtb-friendly trails, including some that are perfect for Beginners. Wouldn't it be excellent mtb pr if the contestants pedal out on a real ride when they're ready? Or have they done this already? I dunno cuz I never watch.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
LadyDi said:
The contestants "train/film" at King Gillete Ranch in Calabasas. That's literally just across the road from Malibu Creek State Park> which boasts an abundance of mtb-friendly trails, including some that are perfect for Beginners. Wouldn't it be excellent mtb pr if the contestants pedal out on a real ride when they're ready? Or have they done this already? I dunno cuz I never watch.
wouldnt that be sweet!!! maybe that will be their "final" task like the marathon they ran last season!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.