Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m looking to put a 46/30 crankset on my trek Marlin 5 (will this work?), and was planning on getting a new rear wheel to allow 10 speeds, and I was wondering what the biggest range of gears from 11 I could have on the rear cassette (ex 11-42). Also would a Deore rear derailleur work for this? (If not what would). Could I something like where when in the 46t chainring at the front I just use gears 5-10 at the back of something? Thanks..

my main question is, is this possible at all?

if not, what would be the biggest range of gears I could get (most top speed and still decent lowest gear)

·
Registered
17,557 Posts
Didn't you already start another thread asking the same question?

Chain wrap capacity for a 10-sp Shimano long cage derailleur is 43t. 30/46 chainring takes up 16 teeth so that leaves 27t so an 11/36 cassette should work fine, 11-40 would put you 2t over the limit but you may be able to get t to work. 11-sp has 47t chainwrap capacity so an 11/42 would work with those chainrings.

You will probably have difficulties installing those chainrings though, most mtb frames don't allow clearance for a chainring that big without a wider spindle, and therefore compromised chainline.

I would consider a more standard 28/38t chainset, or maybe even something like a 22/30/40t triple, that should give you a high enough gear for road plenty of low gear even with an 11/36 cassette.

·
1,040 Posts
I have a 46/30T with a SRAM 11-36T cassette on my Di2 Ultegra setup and have been running it this way for a couple of years now. My B-screw is about 1/2-way cranked out. I have heard of others doing 11-42T with a Wolf-tooth extension. This is with a mid-cage Ultegra derailleur, so any mtn derailleur will give you more capacity. Shimano tends to be very conservative with their specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.