Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
almost there!
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out which tire rolls faster, both tires are the same weight but the Python sometimes seems harder to push and I think it's because of it's larger volume?

Rolling resistance is close.

The Python is definitely a more comfortable tire but I might switch to the Fire 1.8 for races.

Anyone have experience with both tires?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AJ541 said:
I'm trying to figure out which tire rolls faster, both tires are the same weight but the Python sometimes seems harder to push and I think it's because of it's larger volume?

Rolling resistance is close.

The Python is definitely a more comfortable tire but I might switch to the Fire 1.8 for races.

Anyone have experience with both tires?
The Python is about 15 mm taller than the Fire XC 1.8. That is enough to noticeably raise the gearing making it "harder" to pedal in the same gear combos.

Also read this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=34376&highlight=rolling+resistance

·
Registered
797 Posts
The Pythons are very light, but...

they are also very "squishy'" feeling due to their 127tpi material. This makes them very comfortable, but I think they also have a wider "footprint" on the ground, thereby making them seem slower. When you look at their profile, it looks round, but when you sit in the bike, the tire has a more flat-top profile= more rolling resistance.

·
Registered
524 Posts
dumper said:
they are also very "squishy'" feeling due to their 127tpi material. This makes them very comfortable, but I think they also have a wider "footprint" on the ground, thereby making them seem slower. When you look at their profile, it looks round, but when you sit in the bike, the tire has a more flat-top profile= more rolling resistance.
This is only true if you are roadie. By having the tire conform to the terrain it is better traction and running lower psi actually lowers rolling resistance in off-road situations because it will cause the tire to bump/jump less frequently and roll over obstacles it might have bumped lose momentum and traction. I ride pythons on my HT and squishy and love the heck out of them. They have a ton less rolling resistance than a full knobby and for most of my riding actually offers superior control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts