Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a ride and was thinking I could use wider tires on my Shift, I have 2.1 tires on it now and a lot of the roads and trails I ride on have a lot of deep cinders.
Would wider tires help? My rims are 1.5", how wide a tire can I fit on my bike? Thanks for any info!! Aaron

Love my bike!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
On a SHift, you can likely go up to about a 2.3 tire dependinig on how wide of a 2.3 tire it is.

If you ride on a trail that has some deep stuff on it, a wider tire is going to help you "float" on top of it much better. You will likely feel that the bike's handling will improve on that type of surface, in corners, and other technical sections.

The trade off will be in weight (a wider tire is going to be a little heavier) and since you'll have more of a contact patch with the ground, you'll have slightly worse performance on pavement, hardpacked dirt flats, and climbs.

·
Fat Biker
426 Posts
I'm running WTB Motoraptors 2.4's on my Shift R3 with no rubbing whatsoever. I love that I can keep the air pressure fairly low and have plenty of traction plus a cushy ride. Climbing hills is a lot easier and the roots don't feel so big anymore. Throwing on a bigger tire is definately worth a try. I'm happy I did.

Soccerdude

·
Registered
29 Posts
the kendas that came on my haro in 2.35 are actually like 2.4 or 2.45. the hill rod rims were narrower than 1.5 so you should have no problem other than weight, if you care about that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts