Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the consensus is out there in regards to above avg ht riders with big feet that are on 29ers and don't have any toe overlap issues. thx

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I wear a size 50 and do not have any toe overlap on ANY of my bikes.

If one does, most likely:
A: the bike you are on is too small
B: the builder of the bike you are on should be tarred and feathered
C: you can turn amazingly tight circles while moving .5 mph

·
Registered
492 Posts
Toe overlap is generally more of a concern for riders of small frames rather than the big guys. Taller people will usually have enough TT length so as not to have any overlap - when TTs start going under 23.5" it becomes a closer run thing. Of course there are other variables such as crank length, cleat position, head angle, fork rake, and tyre size which influence toe/wheel clearance.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If you're tall and sufer toe overlap you need to either get off the road bike or move your cleats from the heels to the toes ;-)

Most of the foot is BEHIND the cleat, shoes size doesn't affect toe overlap more than cleat placement IMHO. Short top tube 29"ers with steep head tubes and slack seat tubes are obviously not a good plan. Size M and on normally should be clear of issues.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
6'3"

freebiker said:
Just wondering what the consensus is out there in regards to above avg ht riders with big feet that are on 29ers and don't have any toe overlap issues. thx
6'3" rider on a Karate Monkey ... no toe overlap. In fact I have to ride on my heels to get a strike. I did however goof around on a size small Soma juice, that had considerable to overlap that sent me tumbling a couple inches to the ground ;)

I have a junk 26er in the garage that I did a mega endo/taco on. I hit so hard I bent the fork backwards along with the downtube. In retrospect, perhaps I should have gone to the hospital. In any case, I have lots of to strike problems on that thing, so I don't ride it.

On Edit:
I wear a size 13.

·
MTB nut
81 Posts
The Niner frames seem to have great toe to wheel clearance. Most of the comments refer to smaller riders having more of a problem and I can tell you that my Niner size small has the most clearance of any of my bikes. I would assume that with the larger frame sizes it's even better.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, that is what I thought, I just heard differently recently from someone whom I know and was wondering where they were getting rubbed off at! TT a little too short and angles are a little off or something, who knows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.