Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help please, I have a Trek 6000 and I need to change my bottom bracket. I am also thinking about changing my crank to a bigger size. Right now I have a 22/32/42, does anyone know how much bigger I could go without having any problems? I have road tires on the bike and use it for cross country riding and want more speed.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
nitmik said:
I need some help please, I have a Trek 6000 and I need to change my bottom bracket. I am also thinking about changing my crank to a bigger size. Right now I have a 22/32/42, does anyone know how much bigger I could go without having any problems? I have road tires on the bike and use it for cross country riding and want more speed.
Couple things you could do, & you don't need a new crank. You can go with bigger chainrings - maybe something like a 34t or 36t middle or a 44t or 46t outer. A couple of teeth will make a huge difference. Also, if you're looking for more top end spinning speed, check your cassette. The smallest cog may be a 12t. It's possible to get a different cassette with an 11t rear cog.

Keep in mind that, when you go with bigger rings on the crank, you'll want to size them all up uniformly so that the front derailleur will still function. IE - a 32/44 will be ok, but at 32/46, you'll have problems. You may need a new (longer) chain as well. If it were me, I'd start with just getting a 44t outer ring. Two teeth on the big ring is a very big difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts