Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

was in a race this weekend, it was a forest trail after a week of rains, so very very muddy.

I was the only one on CX bike, others (~100 peoples) was on MTBs.

Now in front I have 34 the smallest one, and the cassette is 36.

On steeper climbs I was passed by MTBs, just because I was out of gears, very low cadence, knee pains, cramps ...

Using now 105 medium cage, so from this point it's ok to use a bigger cassette.

Please share your experience, if you are using a bigger cassette.
Think to have a 40, should I keep my 10 speed system or it's better to move to 11sp for this?

10sp with 11 to 40, isn't too big leaps between the gears?

Thoroughfare Channel Soil Forest Ditch

·
Dirt Bound
266 Posts
Without seeing your equipment, It'll be tough to say whether or not you rig can take a wide range cassette as a bolt on. For certain you will need a new chain. Are you running a 2x crankset? If so, that mid cage 105 may not be up to the task. I just don't remember off the top of my head and it's too early for me to figure it out.

I run 42t front and an 11spd 11-40 out back. I've had a bunch of guys tell me and heard countless people talk about wide range cassettes being too big (the gaps between gears) for CX. As far as I could tell, none of them had tried it, they just said it. I've been rocking large cassettes on the CX bike for a bunch of years. I'm also a mid pack Cat 3 who doesn't train. Were I an elite, I could ride up a wall with any gearing, but I'm not. And anyway, wide range stuff works great on a CX bike.

For what it's worth, if everyone else was on mountain bikes... ...why were you rocking the CX bike? Right tool for the job and all.

Good luck.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I switched from an 11-36 to an 11-42 on my monster cross bike:

Only downside I see on the SunRace cassette is the 15t-18t jump. I'm thinking of swapping in a Garbaruk 11-45 cassette that does 11-13-15-17-20-24 on the small end instead of 11-13-15-18-21-24 on the SunRace. I think those 2 1-tooth changes should help smooth out the gearing jumps in the middle part of the cassette. The 11-36 on the other hand was 11-13-15-17-19-21-24, which I really liked on pavement. I could get that back on a wide range setup but would need to go to 11sp.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
As I understand you did the upgrade, right?
105 derailleur?
I did. It was a long cage SRAM Rival. Bike came stock with medium cage and a 32T cassette I think. Sold the bike but in stock form. Still have the cassette and r/d...I need to get another shifter and I'm planning to put the setup on my Kona.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot, good tips!

planing to looks for hydraulic brakes, so guess I'll move to 11sp.
11-40

Big jumps between cogs, on terrains that requires often and fast gear changes are not very welcome.

·
Kilted Cyclist
360 Posts
34x40 is nice, but will your rear tire still hook up to the steep muddy section? You may be quicker just to shoulder the bike and run up the hill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.