Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
the dropouts are for a 10 mm Axle. You can replace the QR axle in your hub with a solid bolt-on axle quite easily... Depending on the hub that is.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Here ya go

try one of these, Gusset Jury hub w/ solid CrMo 12x180mm axle with 10mm flats (fits standard (vertical) frame dropouts). I have one on the way for my Big Hit, should have it either today or Monday, so I can post back on whether or not it works, but if the first pic below, Jury hub on an 02 Big Hit, is any indication it should be fine.

Whatever you do, do not try the Woodman Bill Extreme which has a 15mm axle with 10mm flats, it won't fit. The 10mm flats aren't really 10mm, more like 12mm and thus cannot fit into the dropout without major modification to the dropout area, which is a bad idea if you ever want to sell your frame later. Oh and BTW rear seatstays for Big Hits run about $130.00 USD (witout bearings, that's another story :mad: ), I had to replace mine after I made the mods to try and fit the Woodman and wasn't happy.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
tsx said:
is the cost of the fury hub worth replacing the stock hub? will the different axel make the rear end any stiffer? fury?
The hub is well priced, for what it is, @ $79.00 depending on where you get it. Yes it will definitely add a good deal of stiffness to the rear end compared to the QR axle. I actually rode on the Woodman hub (15mm axle w/ 10mm flats) for a couple of days and it was allot better feeling than the old QR. BTW, it's Jury not Fury, sold by Gusset Bikes (UK company).

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
I broke 2 of the quick release axles...I would replace QR fast. The bike shop put in a dirt jumping bike axle on the same specialized hubs...never had a problem again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.