Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, here is a bit of a shock I just wanted to throw out there. I just pulled the fastest time yet on one of my regular rides. 21 mile loop, previous best 1:13 (its a road ride) back in September when I weighed about 205. This week I weight 224 and I did the loop in 1:12!!! So bigger is better??!! I should post this in the XC racing forum and see how freaked out the weight weenies get!!!

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
Maybe more efficient....cornering better, laying off the brakes, etc.

I found that weight mostly effects me on the climbs. As far a singletrack goes, it doesnt make a big difference with me.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
pretty much what these guys said... the scale doesn't tell you anything other then how much you weigh...

perfect example... don't look if you're offended by fat guys in shorts w/ no shirt haha
but there is only 2lbs difference between me in those pics... but 5% less body fat...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4928967#poststop

but there is also like the last guy said... you could have just ridden much more efficently... less use your momentum more and drop less speed = faster riding as long as you don't wash our or die... thats what makes racers fast... knowing when to go fast and when to go slow...

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dude, but 20lbs heavier? admittedly, I have been riding a ton lately, 3rd month of base training so my leg strenght is way up, pushing bigger gears than before.

I can't wait to see what happens when I drop the 20lbs of "holiday belly", should result in some real gains!!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i hear ya... i need to get my leg muscle up so i can finaly get rid of that dang granny gear... i loved running 1x9 but the gearing just wasn't low enough for me...

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
bigdudecycling said:
Guys, here is a bit of a shock I just wanted to throw out there. I just pulled the fastest time yet on one of my regular rides. 21 mile loop, previous best 1:13 (its a road ride) back in September when I weighed about 205. This week I weight 224 and I did the loop in 1:12!!! So bigger is better??!! I should post this in the XC racing forum and see how freaked out the weight weenies get!!!
At my peak I was 230# with about 8% body fat. I was a terrible mountain biker.

This season I was about as fast as I ever was and I weighed 280# throughout the season.

The difference is skill. But yeah, if I could drop that 50#, I would be a real force. Got down to 265# through a lot of road cycling lately. It's embarrasing as I actually think road is more effective for dropping pounds than off road. But it's not nearly as fun.

·
Registered
875 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
Got down to 265# through a lot of road cycling lately. It's embarrasing as I actually think road is more effective for dropping pounds than off road. But it's not nearly as fun.
I've found the same thing. To me roadbiking is like running - easy to maintain a consistant effort and get a good workout, but mainly grueling and mindless.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
bolandjd said:
I've found the same thing. To me roadbiking is like running - easy to maintain a consistant effort and get a good workout, but mainly grueling and mindless.
haha yup... i spent December on the trail... finally got out on the road again about a week ago... i'd forgotten how boring it was... but it sure does allow you to realy pay attention to your cadance and push your speed haha... i'll start hammering on the intervals here soon.... keep the road rides shorter...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.