Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan this year was to avoid buying any bikes but I think my annual review and some other work changes may allow for the stable to expand. This will be an XC slanted build long rides and maybe a race or two; I already have an RFX for the bigger, stupider stuff. I'm curious what looks right and what doesn't. I'm a heavy rider ~230lbs geared up and tend to be a little rough on gear. Idea is to stomp the guys on Epics and I already keep up w/ on the RFX :thumbsup:

Fork: WB Magic or Fluid 110 TA, Reba Team 29er w/ Maxle, Fox F29 120
Headset: King or CC 110
Stem: Thomson X4
Handlebar: Ritchey Pro Carbon Rizer
Brake, Front: Hope M4 183
Brake, Rear: Hope Mono Mini 160
Shifters: XO twist
Grips: ODI Ruffian lock on
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB Silverado
Crankset: Shimano XT 175mm (may end up being 2 ring plus bash)
Pedals: Shimano PD M540
Derailleur, Front: Sram x9
Derailleur, Rear: Sram x0
Cassette: Sram PG990 11-32
Chain: Sram PC991
Wheelset Option 1
Hub, Front: CK ISO, axle dependant on fork choice
Hub, Rear: CK ISO w/ steel freehub body (maybe fun bolts?)
Rims: Stans Flow
Spokes: DT Swiss straight 14 gauge
Skewer(s): DT Swiss RWS
Wheelset Option 2
I9 built w/ Stans Flows
Front hub set up for TA or 9mm DT Swiss RWS if Fox fork
Rear hub set up for 10mm DT Swiss RWS
Tires: Panaracer Rampage for everyday most likely, maybe Kenda small block 8 for dry conditions or racing.

Real decisions left to be made are fork and wheelset. Any input would be great, I think I'll end up around 28.5 - 29 lbs with the above build, maybe high 27s with I9s and silly tires.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Re the fork:
I had a WB Fluid TA 100mm fork, and ditched it when I got a Fox F29 100mm. I didn't notice any particular difference in stiffness, and think the wheelbuild is likely a more important source of flexiness. The fox just subjectively rode better to me. Hard to explain, but it just feels more controlled in all situations. The damping controls also seemed to work. I am having to run the pressures pretty low to get all travel out of it.

Never tried the new Maxle Reba.

The WB I had was originally a "Magic" IMV fork. Hated it like that. No plushness at all. Good for a rigid SS rider looking for a little cush. The Fluid was tons better.

Wheels:
I have a CK hub with fun bolts and find them a pain in the rear. Prefer the QR in most regards. Supposedly the bolt on is stiffer, but in reality, I don't notice a difference.

The Flows with straight ga spokes are a solid set up with little weight penalty. I have 5 wheels built with flows and like them all. No idea how they compare to I9's

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
i think your build looks great for the intended use.

Either wheelset will be top-shelf

You'll definitely wait longer for I-9s as opposed to having a set of CK's hand-laced.

I'm a fan of the WB135 for the Sultan. Even though I haven't ridden it (nobody has), the soon-to-be-released Reba 120 w/maxle has to be given strong consideration.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I'm a fan of the WB135 for the Sultan. Even though I haven't ridden it (nobody has), the soon-to-be-released Reba 120 w/maxle has to be given strong consideration.
My only concern with the WB135 is slacking the bike out to much. I like the slacker feel of the RFX but would like the Sultan to be a little steeper but not as steep as a 100mm fork would make it. Talking as an arm chair rider, I think a head angle around 69.5ish would be what I'm looking for vs. the quoted 71 degrees with an A/C of 508mm.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
skunkty14 said:
My only concern with the WB135 is slacking the bike out to much. I like the slacker feel of the RFX but would like the Sultan to be a little steeper but not as steep as a 100mm fork would make it. Talking as an arm chair rider, I think a head angle around 69.5ish would be what I'm looking for vs. the quoted 71 degrees with an A/C of 508mm.
FWIW, I don't find my Sultan with the WB135 to steer sluggishly at all. The A2C for that fork is pretty low for it's travel (I forget the exact number and am too lazy to measure it).

In fact, I'd love to see DT slacken out the front end of the Sultan even more.

Sounds like the Reba 120 would be perfect for you - when available.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Nice sounding build - I'm also waiting for the 120 U-turn reba - the maxle will be a nice option on the front end. In the meantime I'm using the RWS skewers - really nice. On the wheels, I'd go with the I-9s on the Flows rims over the CKs. My set up has been great, and the front hub gives the option of easily swapping between various skewer options just by changing the end caps. The CKs are nice, but you will be limited on fork and skewer options by the hub. Mine is about 28.5 with Rampages so your weight estimate is right on for a large.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Given your weight, you could certainly go with butted spokes like the comps and still have a pretty stiff wheel. I'd also go with an XTR FD--even though I like both I found the XTR shifted better on the Sultan than the X.9.

Since you will be running an 11-32, I assume a 20t granny is not in the works for you.

If you already have an RFX (a wise choice) I'd go with the shorter fork. The WB135 has an AC of 535, and while I never found the steering sluggish, I did feel the bike had more of an all mountain flavor, less XC. Think the 120 would be ideal, really, esp if you will do a race or two.

One advantage the taller fork does have is bringing the bars up a bit--a real godsent for taller riders.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
TLL brings up a good point on the gearing.

If you're not accustomed to niners then you may not realize that a given ring/cog combo on a niner feels 1-2 gears "harder" then it does on a 26er.

I run 22/34/bash x 11-34 on my Sultan. That 34t rings comes in handy for long, steep Rocky Mtn climbs. I know people who have ditched the 11t cog and added an Action Tec 36t cog behind the cassette.

I also agree on the XTR FD. It's superior to SRAM's FD.

My Sultan weighs in at 29 on the nose with :
XTR cassette & FD
X.0 triggers, RD
I-9, Rampage, Flow Stan'd
WB 135
carbon bar & post

A different fork will save you 1/2-1 lb.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
TLL brings up a good point on the gearing.

If you're not accustomed to niners then you may not realize that a given ring/cog combo on a niner feels 1-2 gears "harder" then it does on a niner.

I run 22/34/bash x 11-34 on my Sultan. That 34t rings comes in handy for long, steep Rocky Mtn climbs. I know people who have ditched the 11t cog and added an Action Tec 36t cog behind the cassette.

I also agree on the XTR FD. It's superior to SRAM's FD.

My Sultan weighs in at 29 on the nose with :
XTR cassette & FD
X.0 triggers, RD
I-9, Rampage, Flow Stan'd
WB 135
carbon bar & post

A different fork will save you 1/2-1 lb.
I run 24/34/bash with 18/21/24/28/32 on a SS rear hub - definitely like 34T middle rings. I don't have top end with the partitioned cassette (PG-990 alloy spider) but don't need that on the east coast anyway - it's mostly short ups/downs.

On my 1x9 Monocog Flight - 32T front, 11-34 XT cassette out back - pretty much the same as a 26" bike would run.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
as others have said, lose the x-9 f der and get a xtr. wow, what a improvement. i tried real hard to like it and the x-gen before it. i failed both times.

thats a huge disparity between f and r brakes. a 183 4 pot vs. a 160 2 pot? at 230 lb guy is gonna find the ground with his nose all too often id think.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You'll love the added stiffness that the 10x135 rear axle offers, esp with the I9's. I have the F135 and have also swapped in the 125mm spring kit. I can't feel the the difference between 125/135 but with the F110 on the front I sure can. I'm currently using a 20mm up front and will also be ready when the Reba comes out. The sultan is a great bike, no need to change anything.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
If you're not accustomed to niners then you may not realize that a given ring/cog combo on a niner feels 1-2 gears "harder" then it does on a 26er.

I was guessing that because skunkty was going with an 11-32 then gearing is not an issue, but you raise an interesting point. Not only does it make sense to go to a 34t cassette for the long climbs, but to also jump up to a 34t middle and ditch the big ring altogether, as you only lose your top top (compared to a 26er) when you do this. I'd go one step further and run a 20-34 up front, but shifting can be problematic with that spread. I've seen a Middleburn with a 20-34, but don't know how well it shifts.

I run a 20t granny up front, but only because I am slow and fat. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Handlebar: Ritchey Pro Carbon Rizer
Why a riser?? Lose some weight with a salsa flat carbon bar.

Brake, Front: Hope M4 183
Brake, Rear: Hope Mono Mini 160
Love my Formula Oro's...
Good idea going with a 180 up front.

Derailleur, Rear: Sram x0
I'd go with an x.9 and save money - put it into a lighter XTR cassette

Cassette: Sram PG990 11-32
I'd go with an 11-34 or XTR 12-34 (to save weight)

Wheelset
I've just replaced a Hope Pro II, DT 14/15 spokes / Bongtrager OSB rim wheelset with an i9 wheelset. The i9's have transformed the bike. It now steers much more precisely and is more predictable. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Tires: Panaracer Rampage for everyday most likely, maybe Kenda small block 8 for dry conditions or racing.
The Rampage is grippy but s l o w . I love it on the front in damp conditions. Try a Maxxis Crossmark or Racing Ralph on the back for much more grip than the SB8 in mixed conditions, whilst being a much faster roller (and 200g lighter) than the Rampage.
Remember that a 29er tire has more grip than a 26 tire. I've been amazed at how good Crossmarks are when it's not dry.

Front der - Whilst I run an XTR, on my last build (29er hardtail) used a x.9, and it shifted really well...better than the XTR on my Sultan...

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Hey Squeaky or JC,

The Squeaky Wheel said:
FWIW, I don't find my Sultan with the WB135 to steer sluggishly at all. The A2C for that fork is pretty low for it's travel (I forget the exact number and am too lazy to measure it).

In fact, I'd love to see DT slacken out the front end of the Sultan even more.

Sounds like the Reba 120 would be perfect for you - when available.
If you go with the 120 Reba on the Sultan can you still end with a "Quote" AM feel to the bike? Or does this only come with running a WB135..Thanks.CF...

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
If you go with the 120 Reba on the Sultan can you still end with a "Quote" AM feel to the bike? Or does this only come with running a WB135..Thanks.CF...
I don't know. Haven't tried the Reba.

But I doubt the 15mm travel difference makes that much of a difference. And the Reba has the maxle and likely better damping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.