Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thread I just read got me to thinkin' and I'm interested to see what a the majority opinion is here:

What do you like the best:
A) Tralis/rides with ton of climbing and descending where the ride is measure in 2k' vert increments.
B) Rolling singletrack.
C) Don't care as long as I'm on a trail feelin' it!

Me, I'm more of a B answer......I love the trance I can only get into from rolling, flowy ST.... a few hours worth of miles and miles of uninterrupted working the bike, trying to squeeze every little bit of speed and mo' out of "nowhere"....
Don't get me wrong, I love long climbs and DHs :thumbsup: and the backcountry rides take me to interesting places internally :) but for my bread and butter daily trail ride, give me the rolly stuff.

Please discuss why you like what you like (or don't like the others).....let's keep it clean fellers!

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
doesn't matter to me at all as long as it's fun/worh it. rolling stuff is what i ride the most, but it's that or flat here in iowa. but when elsewhere, rolling is great, but long climbs(that aren't so steep they turn into hikes) that have a sweet flowy downhill reward are possibly better, but man, it really doesn't matter. riding is fun.

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
Don't have trails for the most part that just roll along, so it's more the 2k at a time thing, although I do like that just rolling and twisting sort of singletrack on the occasion I come across it...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,019 Posts
A, because IMO it can be fun on almost any bike. The bigger bikes will climb a little bit slower, but descend faster. The lighter bikes will climb better, but descend a litte slower. Everyone has brakes though and you can control your speed on the downhill.

B sucks on the bigger bikes because there's never a long enough downhill to justify the bike or really make it "pay off", so the entire time you're fighting that heavy bike on the uphills and flats, and even on the downhills to catch up with the lighter and faster bikes. For these kinds of rides I feel I need a much more specific type of bike, like a hardtail 29er (which I have) SS or geared. Although short-travel bikes would be good, if you just want to go cheap (and fast) do the hardtail 29er route.

So I'm much more a fan of A or something that resembles A. I feel a lot of accomplishment after the big climbs, and descending for several minutes or more on end just puts a smile on my face. This entire discussion has a lot to do with where I choose to live.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,613 Posts
gsomtb said:
A thread I just read got me to thinkin' and I'm interested to see what a the majority opinion is here:

A) Tralis/rides with ton of climbing and descending where the ride is measure in 2k' vert increments.
B) Rolling singletrack.

Me, I'm more of a B answer......I love the trance I can only get into from rolling, flowy ST.... a few hours worth of miles and miles of uninterrupted working the bike, trying to squeeze every little bit of speed and mo' out of "nowhere"....
Don't get me wrong, I love long climbs and DHs :thumbsup: and the backcountry rides take me to interesting places internally :) but for my bread and butter daily trail ride, give me the rolly stuff.

Please discuss why you like what you like (or don't like the others).....let's keep it clean fellers!
For me, the biggest thrill is A. Part of it is the sense of accomplishment of the climb, and then the sweet reward of the DH. Also, like Jayem said, it is fun on any bike, too. A big cushy bike is a blast for the yee-haw factor, and an HT/Rigid is fun for the challenge.

I enjoy the rolling stuff on a HT, rigid, or short travel xc bike, but it can be a drag with a bigger bike (which is why I got my Karate Monkey and took up ss). Also, I just don't get as good of a workout. I'm somewhat of a slacker with regard to my pace. With a long climb, I'm going to grind it out no mater what. There is no easy way to get up a steep, long climb. The rolling stuff I can slack on. Again, that's fine if I'm in the mood. Sometimes it's just great to be in the woods.

What I DON"T like is rides that start with a big DH that you end the ride climbing back up. ICK!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thoughtful responses guys.....the right tool for the job is exactly why I have a 5.5" travel rig and a ht 29 ss.
For me, it's such a joy to live in a spot where day in/day out I can ride the rolling/flatter twisty/flowy stuff then on the weekends drive 1.5-2 hours and do some climbing and more backcountry vert stuff.
To be honest, I'd hate to have to choose and be stuck with only 1.!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
gsomtb said:

B) Rolling singletrack.

I like it all. Especially the rolling singletrack with 2,000'+ of total climbing/descending (which can easily be done in my neck of the woods).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shig

shiggy said:
I like it all. Especially the rolling singletrack with 2,000'+ of total climbing/descending (which can easily be done in my neck of the woods).
You said rolling and 2k in the same setence.....to me they are almost opposite.
Are you saying a few k total for the ride or defining rolling as 2k-ish for a single climb?

I guess it depends on how you define "big climb"......for me, 1k in a single climb is not BIG but it's getting close to it.....an example of rolling - to me - would be a 4-5 mile loop with like 5-600 ft elevation gain and loss.......something kinda like that.

Just curious.....it's interesting to see people's definitions based on what they're used to riding. :thumbsup:

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,613 Posts
gsomtb said:
Are you saying a few k total for the ride or defining rolling as 2k-ish for a single climb?
shiggy said:
At least that's how I read it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
gsomtb said:
You said rolling and 2k in the same setence.....to me they are almost opposite.

I guess it depends on how you define "big climb"......for me, 1k in a single climb is not BIG but it's getting close to it.....an example of rolling - to me - would be a 4-5 mile loop with like 5-600 ft elevation gain and loss.......something kinda like that.

Just curious.....it's interesting to see people's definitions based on what they're used to riding. :thumbsup:
Today's ride. No big climbs. 16mi, 3500'
ishot-28.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts