Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

currently building up my big top, and trying to decide between a 120 and 100mm fork

im coming off of a niner emd that i was running with a 100 - but i always felt like i wanted the front end to be a bit higher - not that i needed more travel necessarily.

when the time came to build my tallboy, i went 120 and im glad i did, bike handles great, imo

so, in terms of geo, im hoping someone can weigh in. given my preference for higher front end bikes, do i want the 120? will it really negatively affect the handling? is the geo on a big top similar to a niner emd?

thanks!

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
hello all,

currently building up my big top, and trying to decide between a 120 and 100mm fork

im coming off of a niner emd that i was running with a 100 - but i always felt like i wanted the front end to be a bit higher - not that i needed more travel necessarily.

when the time came to build my tallboy, i went 120 and im glad i did, bike handles great, imo

so, in terms of geo, im hoping someone can weigh in. given my preference for higher front end bikes, do i want the 120? will it really negatively affect the handling? is the geo on a big top similar to a niner emd?

thanks!
Maybe on climbing. I built my BT up leaning towards XC, so the 100 mm was spot on. I did consider the 29 TALAS 120 for a more stout build, so that I could knock the front end down. In the end I am glad that I went with the 100...this bike still rips. Not sure how much the 120 will slow the handling, but I would consider googling the geo to compare.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input.

thats just it - its tough for me to compare geo. like its hard to tell what the numbers really MEAN, you know?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahaha i know. i cant deny it. at least i still get out and ride 4-5 times a week. and ive basically given up on road bikes altogether. and, you know, this is my hobby. some people like birdwatching, some people like to travel, i like mountain bikes!

still, all this being said......you're right. i totally need help

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
It rides great with a 120mm;) No flop or climbing issues whatsoever. I still feel "in" the bike so the BB isn't too high. I've never ridden it with 100mm and don't plan to after riding it this way. Go for it!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks so much for this response! this was EXACTLY the encouragement i needed!

99% going for it now!

thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
resurrecting an old thread here:

Anyone still riding a big top? I built one up a few months ago and currently have a 100mm RS Recon Silver. I'm thinking about trying a revelation, pike, fox 34 with the increased offset and set to 120mm. Is there a consensus not he preferred fork for using this frame as a trail bike?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.