Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New bike, new tires new fork. I'd like to squeeze the biggest (tubeless) tire possible into the F100X I'm getting for Christmas. I was looking at the Specialized Enduro Pro 2Bliss 2.4 (in fact, I have already have them on order from my LBS), but I have some concerns that it might not fit. Looking at my 2005 Fox Forx Manual, it says that "Maximum Edge Tire Diameter" is 326 mm, while, looking at Shiggy's site the Enduro Pro runs 332 mm for the edge diameter.

Is 6 mm here something to worry about? The Fox manual has a rather dire warning about running a tire too large for the fork.

I am also considered the Geax Sturdy 2.25, but can't find tires size information for them (any help Shiggy?). Then again, I know people that run the Sturdy on the front of a Fox fork with no trouble, so that should be fine either way.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
I ran WTB Weirwolf, 2.5in (327mm width) and had ample room to spare, your Specialized tire ought to be fine.

_MK

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am currently running the Weirwolf 2.5 myself. But that tire is only a mm over the specs, no big deal. Is 6 mm a big deal? I think you're right though it does SEEM to have plenty of room. If that's the case, why are the Fox recommendations set so low?

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Several reasons, mud being one, when it cakes on, you wish you had more clearance. On hard impacts, the upper area of the tire swells, as the bottom compresses, so you need a little room up there for it to grow as well. In cornering, wheels flex, so the upper area of the tire will shift around, depending on the wheel build it might flex more or less. That's just a few, but it is good to have clearance. That being said, I ran a Motorapotor in a rigid, steel fork that was so tight, I had to redish the wheel so that the tire wouldn't rub (the fork wasn't perfectly symmetric). After a winter of running it like that, the paint where the knobs rubbed was pretty worn, otherwise, everthing was fine.

_MK

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MK_ said:
Several reasons, mud being one, when it cakes on, you wish you had more clearance.
It's a clear sign that I've been living in Arizona too long when the thought of mud getting on my tires didn't even cross my mind. OK, my worries are over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts